Stretch Your Way Forward With Chiropractic
By Sandy Schroeder
Everything we do depends on moving, either easily or sometimes stiffly. If you are running into more and more stiff and sore movements, you may need to loosen up your back, neck and knees with key stretches.
If you spend every weekend on the tennis court or out on the green, those stretches become even more crucial. Don't just wait and hope you will loosen up. Find out what chiropractic and key stretches can do for you.
The Joint Chiropractic clinic near you provides licensed chiropractors who are ready to help. When you come in, your chiropractor will assess your range of motion and want to hear about your pain and stiffness.
Improved spinal health really can make a difference in your ability to stretch and move better. The spine keeps us mobile and the central nervous system inside provides our brain-to-body communication network.
A gentle targeted spinal adjustment may ease your aches and pain, and totally refresh your body with less stress, better sleep, and more energy.
You may decide to use weekly 15-minute spinal adjustments to stay pain-free and work on improved stretching.
Stretching Tips to Stay Safe
Harvard Health suggests these pointers.
- Never stretch to the point of pain - If a stretch hurts, stop at once. Start again gradually and go slowly.
- Begin with a warm-up - You can do stretches such as marching in place or use a warm shower to loosen up.
- Work on posture too - Concentrate on good form when stretching tight muscles to improve flexibility and avoid injury.
- Breathe in and out - Never hold your breath while stretching. That can drive your blood pressure up and impact the whole process.
- Stretch regularly - Daily practice works best to loosen the body and tone the muscles.
- Take one muscle at a time - Concentrate on each muscle to see how tight it is and how much progress you are making.
Try These Sample Stretches
Harvard Health recommends these for daily stretching.
Improve flexibility with this stretch.
- Stand facing a doorway an arm's length away
- Reach out with the left arm putting left hand on door frame with shoulders down and back
- Gently turn body to the right, away from door, feeling a stretch in the shoulder and chest
- Hold and then return to start. Repeat on other side
Try this simple mat exercise.
- Lie on the back with knees bent feet flat on the floor, arms out at the side, palms up
- Tighten abdomen, lifting knees toward chest. Then lower to the left
- Feel the stretch across torso and chest
- Repeat on other side
When you are ready to work on your flexibility, stop by The Joint Chiropractic clinic near you. Clinics are open weekends and evenings, and walk-ins are welcome. Affordable personal healthcare packages and plans eliminate the hassle of insurance.
To learn more about your health, wellness and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Universal City, Tex.