Want to Improve Your Flexibility? Get Moving!
By Donna Stark
Can you touch your toes with ease? Or do a backbend without crashing to the floor? When the joints in your body have full function and complete range of motion, you can brag about having great flexibility. But if your body is stiff and you worry about getting injured every time you bend over, your flexibility may need some serious work. There are a variety of reasons why a body gets stiff and loses flexibility over time, but the most common reason is a lack of exercise.
Get Your Body Moving
Improving your flexibility is important to your overall health and wellness, and the best way to do so is to engage in activities that will stretch and get your body moving. Let's take a look at how you can improve yours, but first, you need to understand why it is so important in the first place.
- Improves posture
- Increases mobility
- Reduces back pain
- Eases muscle tension and strain
- Increases range of motion
- Decreases the risk of injury
- Improves circulation
Increasing Your Flexibility
If you are interested in improving your flexibility, take heart! There are many ways that you can do so. Here are some simple suggestions.
- Stretching - With just a few additional stretches during your morning routine, you can easily make a difference in how flexible your body is! Start with your major muscle groups and work your way around your entire body. Take your time though! You don't want to rush these.
- Yoga - Yoga is a great way to increase the flexibility in your body, but the best part about it is that anybody, at any age and any fitness level, can do it! So don't be intimidated if you have never tried yoga before and ask a friend or family member to join you if that helps you feel more comfortable.
- Dancing - If you have the time and the determination to improve your flexibility, sign up for some dance lessons! Dancing is a great way to enhance and increase both your joint and muscle function.
Becoming More Flexible
You already knew that physical activity helps improve your overall health and wellness but now you know that it can increase your flexibility too! So don't just sit there, get moving today. Add some morning stretches to your daily routine and find an activity that you enjoy being active with. You may be surprised by how good you feel once you get started!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Bellevue, Wash.