Top Reasons Why Sports Are Great for Kids
By Donna Stark
Have you been trying to get your children off their phones and away from their video games? Have they seen more movies in the past few months than you have your entire life? We all know that exercise is good for the body, mind, and spirit, but getting your kids outside and physically active is hard, especially if they don't have friends nearby. So what can you do? Well, if your children are having a hard time warming up to the thought of exercising alone, and if they like to have fun, you can encourage them to sign up for a sport!
There is something special about playing a sport and being on a team. In addition to having fun and maintaining a certain level of fitness, the memories that will be made are sure to last a lifetime. But that's not all! There are so many other benefits for both boys and girls, that you will be left wondering why you didn't suggest joining a sport earlier! Let's take a look at a few of those benefits here.
- Academics - Children who play sports often do better in school. Exercise improves learning, memory, and concentration. It also helps to improve sleep so you can expect more energy and less fatigue in your child throughout the day.
- Future skills - There is no "I" in "teamwork." I am sure you have heard that saying before and it can certainly be applied here. When your children have the opportunity to work with coaches, trainers, and teammates, they are able to build a foundation of teamwork and goal-setting that can be carried into their career and relationships during their adult years.
- Hidden health benefits - It's easy to see that playing a sport will help your children stay fit and maintain a healthy weight, but did you know that it can also reduce the risk of future pain and chronic diseases?
- Great outlook - Children who are involved in athletics generally feel better about themselves, both physically and mentally. Playing a sport builds confidence, encourages relationship-building skills, and teaches self-discipline and structure.
- Stress reducer - Exercise has been shown to help reduce stress and anxiety. It's a natural mood lifter and a great way to decompress, especially after a long day at school. In addition to that, it also offers a group of friends and coaches that support one another both on and off the field.
Say Yes to a Sport!
Encouraging your children to say yes to a sport is a perfect way to introduce physical activity and optimal health into their lives. So stop forcing them to work out in the backyard all alone and sign them up for a sport instead! You can bet they will have the time of their lives!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Renton, Wash.