What Is the Value of Chiropractic Care for Women in Middle Age?
By Donna Stark
Women’s health is a fundamental part of societal health. Yet, it is often overlooked because many women tend to focus on their family, career, and community involvement over their own physical, mental, and emotional well-being. For women in middle age -- roughly 40 to 60 years of age -- achieving a balanced work-life-health schedule is key. Fortunately, it’s easy to do when routine chiropractic care is established. Learn more about the benefits associated with chiropractic treatments and how they can help women improve their overall health and quality of life.
An Introduction to Chiropractic Care
Chiropractic care is an all-natural, non-invasive approach that can alleviate pain, increase functionality, and improve overall health and wellness. This approach consists of manual or instrument assisted adjustments to the spine and other joints of the body that are performed by a licensed doctor of chiropractic. By focusing on the body’s nervous and musculoskeletal systems concurrently, chiropractic care can be an effective way to bring the body back into proper balance.
In addition to the adjustments involved with this form of treatment, chiropractors may also provide exercise, nutrition, and lifestyle guidance to help facilitate the healing process and maximize the overall benefits of this approach. Simply put, establishing routine chiropractic care is like hitting the refresh button on your health. With regular adjustments, middle-aged women may finally be able to attain the balance that has proven to be very elusive to so many.
Why Should Adult Women Consider Routine Chiropractic Care?
Routine chiropractic care can offer a variety of physical, mental, and emotional health benefits for women in middle age. It can help by providing relief from many types of pain, improving posture, increasing range of motion, and reducing stress levels. Chiropractic care has also been shown to reduce inflammation in the body and support better sleep quality. This is good news for women, especially for those who are suffering from certain conditions, such as back pain, migraines, osteoarthritis, fibromyalgia, and menopause.
However, the best reason to seek chiropractic care may be that it avoids the use of prescription medications. As well, it reduces uncomfortable injections and invasive procedures. This means women can avoid the undesirable and often risky side effects associated with those types of treatments.
Here are just a few of the specific ways that regular chiropractic adjustments can help improve a woman’s overall health and wellness.
- Pain relief - The manual adjustments that chiropractors perform correct spinal “misalignments.” This can help reduce pain, soothe irritated nerves, correct joint dysfunction, and ease muscle and soft tissue strain.
- Improved posture - Since the pressure and strain on joints and muscles can be reduced with regular spinal manipulation, a woman may see an improvement in the way she holds and carries her body.
- Reduced stress - Chiropractic care can help reduce stress by improving nervous system function and promoting relaxation in the body.
- Increased range of motion - With less pain and fewer joint restrictions, patients of chiropractic care may experience an increase in range of motion and mobility.
- Improved menstrual symptoms - Chiropractic care can help women who experience discomfort during their menstrual cycle or who are going through menopause. This is done by improving nerve function, reducing muscle tension, and regulating hormone levels.
- Pregnancy - Chiropractic care can also help alleviate many of the uncomfortable issues associated with pregnancies. Among these issues are back and pelvic pain, headaches, poor sleep, and increased stress.
- Decreased inflammation - Chiropractic adjustments can help reduce inflammation levels in the body. They can also alleviate pain and discomfort when performed consistently.
- Better sleep - Chiropractic care can help remove many of those nighttime disruptions that keep us awake by helping to boost the immune system, alleviate pain, and support supreme relaxation.
It is important to note that chiropractic care should be part of an overall healthcare plan. As such, all women should discuss their specific needs and health concerns with a chiropractor and their primary doctors.
What Women Can Expect During a Chiropractic Visit
Each chiropractic visit may be different, depending on the patient’s individual symptoms and needs. Most women can expect the following to occur during their initial visit.
- Consultation - Chiropractors won’t begin treatment until they have all the necessary information to make a working diagnosis. They will then design a customized treatment plan. This consultation will review a patient’s medical history, symptoms, and goals they wish to achieve.
- Physical exam - Chiropractors will then move on to a physical exam. This exam may include a spinal evaluation that assesses posture, range of motion, and any areas of pain or discomfort in the body.
- Diagnostic testing - If a condition appears to be outside the scope of a chiropractor’s expertise or further testing is needed, they will often recommend visiting the appropriate healthcare professionals for additional guidance or diagnostic testing.
- Chiropractic adjustment - Using their hands, specialized tables, and tools (if applicable), the chiropractor will perform adjustments to the spine and other joints of the body. These adjustments involve gentle thrusts and pressure on the afflicted areas.
- Treatment plan - Based on the results of the examination and adjustments, the chiropractor will then develop a treatment plan with the patient tailored to the individual's needs. Most individuals will need follow-up visits to maintain alignment and facilitate healing.
- Tips and suggestions - In addition to the adjustments they perform, chiropractors may also recommend specific at-home exercises and stretches, as well as lifestyle modifications, for the patient to follow.
Tips for Finding the Right Chiropractor for You
Researching your options thoroughly can help ensure you make an informed decision when it comes time to find the right chiropractor for you and your family. It is important to consider factors such as cost, quality, experience, reputation, location, and availability when deciding on who to see. By choosing The Joint Chiropractic for your chiropractic needs, you will have access to top performing doctors of chiropractic with years of experience, affordable wellness plans, and hundreds of locations across the country that have walk-in availability.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care
Whether it’s to help deal with pain, manage stress levels, or get the rest they need, women across the country are increasingly turning to the all-natural approach of chiropractic care to improve their overall health and bring balance back into their lives. With regular chiropractic care, you can enjoy these long-term health benefits and look forward to an improved quality of life.
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this page are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this post is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics, including but not limited to the benefits of chiropractic care, exercise and nutrition. It is not intended to provide or be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your chiropractor, physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this page.