Why A Non-Invasive and Drug-Free Approach to Healthcare Is Amazing
By Donna Stark
If you’ve been dealing with chronic pain, you are probably already familiar with the amount of suffering it can bring to your life. What you may not be completely familiar with is how to find the pain relief you seek. For some people, the first step is to see a medical doctor as soon as they can. But if a path filled with prescription medications and potential surgeries isn’t the direction you want to take, you’re going to need other options.
Here’s why chiropractic care at The Joint Chiropractic is one of the best options to consider for long-term recovery.
Benefits of Chiropractic Care for Chronic Pain
Chiropractic care has become the go-to solution for millions of people who are dealing with the daily discomforts of chronic pain. We’re talking about back pain, neck pain, hip pain, knee pain, headaches, and migraines -- all sorts of pain issues that can lead to severe health consequences if left untreated.
Regular chiropractic adjustments can help achieve long-term pain relief while significantly improving your overall health and wellness, and you can do so without becoming dependent on medications or going “under the knife".
The Benefits of Chiropractic Care vs. Medications
Conservative pain management can have different meanings for different people. Some people believe conservative care treatments should only include those that are all-natural and drug-free, while others believe it’s perfectly acceptable for them to include over-the-counter and prescription drugs. Of course, there isn’t any right or wrong way to define it (because treatments should never be one-size-fits-all), but it’s important to know what you are choosing and how that choice will impact your life.
Here are a few of the reasons why people in the United States are forgoing pain medication and opting for chiropractic treatments to manage both their physical discomfort and mobility issues.
- Targets the root cause - Unlike traditional medical doctors and treatments that only address your symptoms (thereby only providing temporary relief), your chiropractor will seek to identify the root cause of the issue and target it with precise adjustments.
- Avoids many side effects - Chiropractic care can help you avoid the unpleasant side effects and risks caused by many pain-relieving medications. It can also decrease the need for opioid use, as shown in this study published by BJM Journal.
- Treats the body as a whole - There's more to chronic pain than just physical discomfort. Chiropractic care can also help with pain management by reducing stress, restoring sleep, and improving overall health.
- Provides personal attention - After a one-on-one consultation, your chiropractor will design a treatment plan customized to your specific needs. This plan may also include tips on how to modify your existing lifestyle to promote quick and complete healing.
While chiropractic care is most often associated with joint pain, chiropractors can safely and effectively treat a wide variety of health issues, which means you may not need to grab that bottle of pills. Speak with your chiropractor first to determine if chiropractic care is appropriate for you and your condition. It’s also important to note that chiropractors cannot make any changes to any currently prescribed medications; if you’re looking to reduce your medications you should always consult with your medical doctor.
Chiropractic Care vs. Invasive Procedures
If you want to avoid medications at all costs, haven’t found success with traditional treatments like physical therapy, or simply feel like you are at the end of your rope, you may find yourself considering an invasive procedure in the near future. But the best thing you can do right now is to slow down and push the pause button because chiropractic care could be a much more effective option. Here’s why you should consider it.
- Minimizes risk - All surgeries carry the risk of infection, excessive bleeding, and nerve injury. They also may require the use of opioids to help manage the pain, which can lead to an increased risk of addiction and acute respiratory failure. Chiropractic care avoids all these issues.
- Delivers results - Many patients who can’t find relief from physical therapy alone go on to experience pain relief and improved mobility when chiropractic care is added to their treatment plan. It’s an easy addition to make, so why not try?
- Reduces the risk of ongoing issues - While many surgeries fail and often require additional procedures, routine chiropractic care has been known to reduce risk of some future complications and health problems.
- Speeds healing - Chiropractic care increases the body’s natural ability to heal itself and shortens recovery times. If there is no other alternative to surgery, be sure to include chiropractic care during your recovery period! It may help.
An important thing to remember when considering surgery is that it’s not too late to change your mind! Even if you have already visited a surgeon, it is perfectly within your right to take a step back and review your options.
Should I Ever See a Chiropractor Before a Medical Doctor?
It’s always a good idea to keep your primary care doctor in the loop when making decisions about your overall health and wellness, but there are some situations when you may want to see your chiropractor first. Here are some examples of when that might be the case.
- Quickly treats minor pain - For minor aches and pains caused by daily life, visiting The Joint Chiropractic can save you the hassle of waiting for a doctor’s appointment to open or sitting for hours on end at an urgent care.
- Is more cost effective - Chiropractic care may be your solution if cost is a factor. Most patients often find their initial treatment plan, in addition to their routine maintenance visits, is significantly less expensive than other treatments and procedures prescribed by their primary care doctor.
- Uses a holistic approach - Visiting your chiropractor just makes sense if holistic care is important to you. You also never have to worry if your condition is outside of their scope of practice because your chiropractor will always refer you to the proper healthcare providers.
Choosing Chiropractic Care Is a Smart Decision
It’s easy to see why chiropractic care could be chosen over treatments that rely heavily on prescription medications and invasive procedures, but that doesn’t mean it’s a cure-all. It’s essential to discuss all your options with your healthcare providers and loved ones. Weighing the pros and cons of any medical treatment can help you feel more comfortable when planning for your future, and including everyone in those discussions can help with your continued progress and recovery.
The information, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained on this page are for informational purposes only. The purpose of this post is to promote broad consumer understanding and knowledge of various health topics, including but not limited to the benefits of chiropractic care, exercise and nutrition. It is not intended to provide or be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Always seek the advice of your chiropractor, physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition or treatment and before undertaking a new health care regimen, and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this page.