Lower Back Pain Treatment Options
By Debra Rodzinak
Many acute lower back pain episodes are the result of damage to the ligaments and muscles in the lower back. The pain that is felt in the lower back can be surprisingly extreme and will actually send many people to the doctor every year.
There are two types of strain associated with the lower back:
- Muscle strain – This type of injury is a result of a muscle that is stretched too far or torn.
- Lumbar sprain – This type of injury is a result of the ligaments being stretched too far or torn.
The treatments for both types of injuries are the same.
Causes of Back Strain
Whether strained or torn, the muscles around the affected area become inflamed. This inflammation results in back spasms that can cause severe pain in the lower back and problems with mobility.
Some common activities that can cause back strain include:
- Sudden movement that overextends the muscles or ligaments of the back
- Sports, such as golf, that involve twisting
- Lifting a heavy object improperly
- Fall or other type of sudden injury
Any of these can cause the muscles and ligaments in the back to stretch too far or tear.
Treatment for Back Strain
Other than drugs or surgery, there are many other forms of therapy that are effective for the relief of pain in the back. These include:
- Massage – Improving blood flow in the lower back helps to heal the muscle fibers, loosen tight muscles, and release those “feel good” endorphins.
- Ice or Cold Packs – Ice will help reduce inflammation to the muscles and fibers surrounding the injured areas. Ice also helps to numb the pain.
- Heat Therapy – Heat helps to stimulate blood flow which leads to healing of the muscle or tissues that are injured.
- Chiropractic – Loosening tight back muscles and aligning the joints of the back adds to the promotion of healing in the injured area.
If you have a lower back pain, come to The Joint for a gentle chiropractic treatment. With over 350 convenient locations nationwide, the expert doctors at The Joint work with patients to develop a plan of action that is all natural and does not involve drugs or alcohol.
With no pesky insurance forms to fill out or appointment times to remember, finding pain relief and complete healing is easy and stress free for your lower back pain. Drop by The Joint today and begin your path to a healthy back without pain.