Aging Well and How You Can Help
By Donna Stark
You are either one of two persons. The first person is the one who has had their handful of birthdays. The one whose body is starting to creak and groan; the one who attributes most of their pain and aches to “getting old.” The second person is the youngin. The one whose body is slim, fit, and pain-free; the one who lovingly teases their family members about going through the “getting old” process (which, by the way, usually occurs during a backyard pickup game of kickball). But no matter which one of the two you are, the likelihood that you have heard a comment about aging, is probably pretty high.
From the moment we’re born, our bodies are in a constant state of change, and these changes continue throughout life. There really is no way to stop them, but there is a way to influence them because oftentimes, the changes in our body that we call “aging” are actually an accumulation of poor lifestyle habits. Let that sink in and give it some thought. Are you carrying around too much weight? Are you fighting chronic back pain after years of sitting at a desk? Is your blood work coming back showing so many deficiencies that you’ve lost count? Our collective health is suffering, and sure, a good bit of it may be contributed by actual aging issues, but there is also a good bit of it that’s not.
Changing Your Changes
Fortunately, there are several things you can do that will make a significant impact on how well you age, and the earlier you start, the better. Establishing these healthy behaviors and applying them throughout your life can easily transform your overall health and wellness. Let’s take a look.
- Move - The number of benefits you get for the little amount of time and cost that is actually required makes exercise something that just can’t be ignored. It’s critical for optimal health.
- Eat well - Fill your diet with healthy, nutrient-dense foods to protect your body from damage and illness.
- Watch those pounds - Speak to your doctor about what a healthy weight for you would be. You don’t want to be overweight obviously, but you also don’t want to be underweight as well.
- Sleep - It is critical that your body has this time to rest, repair, and rejuvenate. Find ways to get the quality sleep you need and make it a priority!
- Nurture relationships - To love and be loved … well isn’t that the heart of what living is all about? Meaningful interactions improve every aspect of our health, so love fearlessly and ferociously.
We’re All Aging … Even the Youngins
There are so many things in life that we have no control over, but we do have control over our behaviors and actions. So start as soon as you can, because there is no step too small when it comes to getting on that path towards healthy habits and optimal wellness … and don’t forget … you have a kickball game to prepare for!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Scottsdale, Ariz.