A Family That Exercises Together, Stays Together
By Donna Kostiew
Most of our homes are filled to the brim with more technology than ever before and many of our children are suffering from it. Between television, computers, electronic devices, and cell phones some of our kids are becoming more and more sedentary as the days pass by. Childhood obesity is on the rise and aches and pains are becoming a common complaint from our children. A sedentary lifestyle is horrible for their bodies, and just so you know, the occasional jump out of their seats after they killed a video monster doesn’t count as exercise.
Getting your children to come out of their rooms and be active can be difficult, but if you do it as a family, it may not be as hard as you think.
Staying Active as a Family
The benefits of being physically active are worth all of the begging, fighting, and bribing you had to employ to get your children to put their electronic devices down.
- Instills lifelong habits
- Reduces illness and injuries
- Improves mood
- Lowers stress levels
- Helps sleep patterns
- Improves academic performance
Being active as a family can have even more benefits than simply helping to improve your health. Your children will feel emotionally connected, a stronger bond can be created between family members, and the teamwork that is present during exercise may transfer into the home as well.
Making Family Exercise a Priority
Research shows that parents who are physically active increase the likelihood that their children will follow their lead. Need some ideas? Here is a list of suggestions for getting your family moving.
- Be the example - Teach your kids to walk or take the stairs when possible by doing so yourself
- Show interest – Encourage your children by participating in the activities they enjoy
- Try a new sport - There are so many to choose from, mix it up a bit and try something new together
- Go for walks – If that is a little too “slow-paced,” turn it into a scavenger hunt or try geocaching
- Train for a race – Sign up for family fun runs, or 5Ks
- Join an exercise class together – Kids often find that they love yoga, even while making fun of the poses
- Play physical games - Basketball, frisbee, hide and seek, soccer, tag, and golf to name a few
- Make chores fun – Turn this yucky time into a game to see who can get finished the fastest
When the whole family is involved, children learn that being physically active can be fun. It’s a great way to turn family time into exercise time without them feeling like it is work and, soon enough, they will be asking for more of it.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Culver City, Calif.