Time To Get Fruity!
By Donna Stark
I can vividly remember the first time I had ever seen an actual fruit smoothie shop. It was when I was in my early 20s and I was on vacation in Florida. My friend took me to one and I thought it was just the coolest thing ever, although I wasn’t really sure how successful it could be. You see, I grew up not on smoothies, but on milkshakes, and if a fruit was added into the blender, it was probably done by mistake. So to wrap my head around blending spinach and carrots with bananas and papaya … well, let’s just say that I couldn’t. Thankfully, I wasn’t in the business of starting businesses back then because I really missed the mark on that one, but trust me when I say I have come around to understanding the importance of adding as much fruit to my diet as possible.
Can’t Get Enough
Fruits are the easiest and sweetest way to nourish your body and fill it with the nutrients it craves! And although there really isn’t any bad choice, so to say, there are some fruits that are better than others. Here are a few that always seem to top the list.
- Berries - You will always be picking a winner when you reach for some berries. Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries have incredible amounts of fiber, antioxidants, and vitamins that are great at protecting the body from illness and disease.
- Apples - Also high in fiber, apples are the perfect grab-and-go snack that will keep you feeling full for hours. Their nutrients and antioxidants may reduce the risk of disease and improve digestion as well.
- Bananas - Loaded with potassium and key nutrients, bananas provide benefits that help with exercise, blood sugar levels, and digestive health.
- Cherries - In addition to turning a good pie into an amazing pie, cherries also offer us so many health benefits because they are rich in nutrients, antioxidants, and melatonin.
- Pineapple - If you love the flavor of the tropics, pineapples are your best bet. Rich in Vitamin C, manganese, and bromelain, pineapples help to fight inflammation and reduces the risk of cancer.
- Avocado - Avocados are extremely versatile and are perfect for smoothies with their rich, creamy texture. They are packed with fiber, potassium, and magnesium and are known for their heart-healthy fats.
- Grapes - High in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, grapes are the perfect choice when you are looking for an easy snack. Try them frozen too!
Adding Fruit to Your Diet
Smoothies are the best way to add several servings of fruit at once into your diet, but they aren’t the only way! Add some berries to your morning oatmeal, pack a banana for your midday snack, and munch on some grapes while watching TV. With so many delicious options to choose from, you’ll never get tired of eating them.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Culver City, Calif.