Go Ahead and Give Yoga a Try!
By Donna Stark
Are you getting bored with your everyday fitness routine? Are you tired of using the same gym equipment over and over again? Would you like to try a new low-impact exercise that is sure to keep your body fit and healthy? If so, you have come to the right place! Keep reading to learn more about the benefits of yoga and why you should incorporate this incredible form of exercise into your healthy lifestyle.
What Is Yoga?
When some people think of yoga, the images that come to mind are those of super-flexible people contorting their bodies on plastic mats in the middle of a forest. And although that sounds lovely and may be accurate for certain individuals, that's now what yoga is about. Yoga is an exercise that anyone can do, no matter the age or physical condition of the participant. It's a low-impact workout that focuses on movement, posture, breathing, relaxation, and meditation. There are several different types of yoga available, so you should take the time to search for the one that best suits your needs and matches your goals, but no matter which one you choose, you will be sure to experience some of the benefits listed below.
- Reduced stress - By utilizing effective breathing techniques and meditation, reducing cortisol levels (the body's primary stress hormone), and encouraging complete relaxation in the body, yoga can have a huge impact on your overall stress and anxiety levels.
- Less joint pain - Yoga reduces pain and discomfort by improving joint function, easing tension and strain, and reducing inflammation. Its slow and gentle movements are joint-friendly so it's the perfect exercise for those struggling with pain.
- Restored mobility - By increasing flexibility, range of motion, and balance, your mobility will start to improve in no time. Yoga is a great way to get your body lean and strong so you can be as active as you want.
- Improved back pain - Put down those painkillers! The various poses held during yoga sessions strengthen the body's core muscles which can help stabilize the spine and improve your back pain.
- More energy - After getting into a routine of practicing yoga several times a week, you may feel a boost to your energy and productivity levels. You may even notice a positive change in your moods, too.
- Better sleep - Practicing your yoga poses right before bed could help you get the rest your body needs. Since a huge part of yoga involves relaxation, breathing exercises, and meditation, your body will be more inclined to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer.
Go Ahead and Give Yoga a Try
Don't wait any longer! Call your local yoga studios or gyms and ask for information on how to join a class. It may be exactly what you are looking for to bring some excitement and fun back into your fitness routine!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Culver City, Calif.