Balance: The Perfect Ingredient for a Joyful Life
By Donna Stark
I love watching people cook. The ones who really know how to cook, that is. The ones who understand flavors and textures, combinations and pairings. The ones who don’t need measuring utensils but who instead rely on their knowledge and experience to get it just right. A little bit of this, a lot of that … it takes some balancing of all the ingredients to create something wonderful, doesn’t it? Life is like that too, and like those cooks in the kitchen, I admire the ones who have it all balanced out.
Bringing Balance to Your Life
Bringing balance to life can mean a lot of different things for different people. But generally, the goal at the end of the day is to achieve a consistent state of contentment. A little bit of this, a lot of that can help balance out the peaks and valleys of our days and over time, can create not a masterpiece in the kitchen, but a lifetime of joy. Here are some suggestions on how to add more balance to your life.
- Organize - Do you spend extra time every day hunting down things that you thought were right there? How much time do you think you can add to your day if only things were organized? Even if it’s only 10 or 15 minutes a day, that precious time can be used for something more important, like reading your child a book before bed. It adds up and taking the time to create some order will give you more time for a life of joy.
- Enjoy the nice things - Pull the good dishes out for your Chinese take-out. Light the candle and enjoy a glass of wine. Stop saving the things you love so much for “only” the special occasions. Break out of the daily monotony and enjoy what fills your heart.
- Ask for help - There are times when it's impossible to do everything on your own, so ask for help. Reach out to those around you. Make time to do more of what you love by sharing the workload.
- Compromise - Is it always your way or the highway? Disagreements are stressful enough and can make everyone feel miserable, but being more willing to compromise, especially with the nitty-gritty stuff in life, you can help to reduce stress for everyone.
- Set work hours - Sure, there are times you need to stay late or go in early for work, but sticking to designated work hours as best as you can will help to separate your work life with your personal life. This is important not only for you but for your loved ones as well because it helps to keep the focus on what’s in front of you.
Add Balance, Create Joy
We feel our best, both physically and emotionally, when life is balanced. When all of our needs are being met and we have that consistent state of contentment, the doors to creating that masterpiece are unlocked and opened wide.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in West Sacramento, Calif.