Superfoods to Help You Slim Down
By Debra Rodzinak
Superfoods are full of powerful nutrients that help the body prevent disease, increase bone density, improve eyesight, help the mind stay sharp, and stay slim. Here is a list of superfoods that can increase metabolism, burn fat, and help you stay thin.
- Black Beans - A beloved food in Mexican dishes, these little lentils pack a full 15 grams of protein per serving, but don’t contain the saturated fat found in red meat.
- Avocados – The oleic acid found in avocados is found to actually satisfy and diminish hunger. Filled with fiber and protein, only a quarter or half of an avocado is needed to melt belly fat away.
- Salmon – Leaner than any red meat, this cold water fish helps increase the MUFA’s which have been found to help dieters loose weight.
- Blueberries – With 4 grams of fiber and anti-aging effects, these tiny powerhouses have been a favorite of low calorie eaters for decades.
- Broccoli – Served either raw or cooked, this tasty vegetable is touted for fighting cancer and is only 30 calories per serving.
- Brown Rice – Better than its counterpart white rice, brown rice contains a healthy starch that is known to increase metabolism and burn fat.
- Pears – Another popular fruit, pears are packed with fiber. One pear contains 15 percent of the daily recommended allowance of fiber. Be sure to include the skin when eating a pear because this is where the fiber is located.
- Oats – One serving of this fiber rich food can keep you feeling full all morning. A half a cup of oats has 4.6 grams of resistant starch which is considered a healthy carb that burns fat and boosts metabolism.
- Grapefruit – Known for years as a staple on many diets, a grapefruit is 90 percent water, so it fills you up and is a good source of protein. In addition to weight loss, this tangy fruit can lower insulin and help dieters loose up to a pound a week.
- Wine – Luckily, this beverage made the list. The skin of the grape contains antioxidants and studies have shown that those who drink wine (in moderation) have waists that are smaller and bellies that are slimmer than those who drink liquor. If you want to boost your calorie burn for an hour and a half, drink a glass of wine.
By knowing which foods are best to eat and what they do to help the body, whether you are eating out or cooking at home, adding these superfoods to your menu can help you slim down over time.