Reduce Your Chance of a Fall Cold
By Sara Butler
The transition from one season to another can be lovely to watch but can put a lot of stress on your body. Fall is a time of year that is synonymous with colds, congestion and sniffles! The theory behind the emergence of cold viruses in the fall is that the viruses thrive in cooler weather. So, they multiply easily and spread even easier among people this time of year. But fear not! Your chiropractor is here to help you stay healthy all season long - here’s how!
Take Preventative Measures
First things first: Colds can be prevented by taking some common sense measures. You should remember to:
- Wash your hands – Wash often since cold viruses can live on your skin for up to two hours!
- Don’t touch – Avoid touching your nose, mouth, and eyes or else you can transmit the virus from your hands.
- Boost immunity – Eat right, drink plenty of water and see your chiropractor to keep your immune system healthy and functioning optimally.
- Get sleep – Enough sleep every night, at least seven hours, helps to keep you healthy and less susceptible to illness.
- Exercise –Regular exercise helps to keep your immune system healthy!
- Reduce stress – Physical and emotional stress lowers your body’s immune system response. Try to limit stressors in your life and you might escape illness easier.
- Avoid certain surfaces – If you can avoid touching surfaces in public places such as doorknobs and bathroom faucets, you’ll reduce your risk of a cold.
Is it a Cold or Allergies?
How do you know if you have a cold or if it’s allergies? Both are very common this time of year. Colds commonly last for about 10 days while allergy symptoms can last for several weeks or even a couple of months. As long as you are exposed to whatever is causing the allergies you will have symptoms. If you suffer from allergies, you will need to be very careful in the fall to limit your exposure to the cold virus because your immune system is already compromised.
See Your Chiropractor
During the fall you can help to stay on top of illness by regularly seeing your chiropractor. They can help to keep your spine aligned, which helps keep your nervous system and immune system functioning optimally. They can also give you some advice on nutrition to help give your body an extra boost against the common cold!