Living Well with Great Nutrition
By Donna Stark
Are you the type of person who likes homemade food but prefers the convenience of takeout even more? Are you on your fourth, fifth, sixth (!) diet this year because it's too hard to stay motivated with one? While there are so many different factors that play into a person's well-being, one of the biggest is a healthy diet packed with foods rich in nutrition. And yes, I am sure you have heard that word before ... nutrition ... but it may not mean exactly what you have come to think it does.
Reasons for Nutrition
Nutrition is not low-fat, low-calorie, no taste. It's also not going through your day being hungry and feeling deprived. It's about eating clean and nourishing your body with real, whole foods. It's about feeling satisfied and completely energized so that you can have productive days that inevitably turn into productive weeks and months. There are many, many reasons why nutrition is important, but let's just take a look at a few here.
- Improves muscle function - A nutritious diet helps to strengthen and improve the body's muscle function. This is important because quite simply, healthy muscles enable us to do what we love to do. Eating the right types of food that are packed with all of the vitamins and minerals the body needs helps to maintain muscle mass, strength, and mobility.
- Leads to a longer life - Want to grow old with your loved ones? Feeding your body what it needs can add years to your life. Nutrient-dense foods build up every cell in your body and help prepare it to fight illness and disease.
- Feeds your brain - There is no doubt that diet plays a major role in your brain's overall health, so it's important to make sure you are consuming foods rich in vitamins and nutrients every day. Eating brain-healthy foods helps to reduce the risk of degenerative diseases and mental decline.
- Beautifies your appearance - In addition to making your insides better, nutritious food can also give you a better outside. A healthy diet contributes to clear skin, shiny nails, and luxurious hair much better than any amount of beauty products do.
- Strengthens your body - Nourishing your body with the right kinds of food helps strengthen both muscles and bones. This is important for people of all ages and fitness levels because it helps to reduce the risk of falls and injuries.
- Boosts your immune system - Consuming a balanced diet helps to improve and boost the function of your body's immune system. Fill your plates with foods that provide plenty of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants to enhance the immune system and lower the incidence of illness.
Living a Healthy, Balanced Life
A healthy diet is a vital component to living a long, happy life, and deciding to make that commitment is a big deal. So stay motivated but don't leave your family and friends behind! Invite them to join you and hold each other accountable it's much better than trying yet another diet!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Eagan, Minn.