Staying Physically Active With Loved Ones
By Donna Stark
It's great to spend quality time with those we love, but if that quality time includes a couch and a TV every day of the week, you may want to consider trying something new, something that involves some physical activity. Even if organized sports and hitting the gym aren't your thing, there are plenty of ways to add some extra movement into your life. You just need to be a willing participant and open to new ideas.
Trying Something New
Whether you want to admit it or not, sitting around the whole day or evening doesn't do much for your overall health and wellness. And let's be honest, are the shows on TV really that good anymore? Do something important. Make some incredible memories by using your quality time to stay physically active with your loved ones. Here are some suggestions.
- Be a tourist - Go ahead and grab that fanny pack, but don't worry about a long trip. You can have loads of fun by playing the role of "tourist" in the town right next to you. Visit a local museum, shop in their downtown district, or walk the streets and take pictures of all the cool things you see.
- Master a new skill - Have you all watched enough cooking shows that you feel you could open your very own a bakery? Well, that may be a little extreme, but it doesn't mean you can't start somewhere. Head to your local grocery store, stock up on supplies and ingredients, and plan to get elbow deep in flour and icing!
- Build something - OK, maybe it wasn't cooking shows that left you inspired. Maybe it was all of those home redecorating shows that tickled your fancy, so get off the couch and build something! How awesome would it be if you could prop your feet up at the end of the day on the coffee table that was made by you?
- Explore nature - Get outside and start exploring the area around you! Find scenic views, go for a walk, or if you are lucky enough, hike to those cool waterfalls you have been hearing everyone talk about. Spending time in nature is a great way to improve both your physical and mental health!
- Volunteer - Help your elderly neighbor, pick up trash at a park, or volunteer at a local charity organization. In addition to getting out of the house and staying physically active, doing so will also lift your spirits!
Using Your Time Wisely
Don't these ideas sound like fun? It's time to step away from the couch and try something new! It's a great way to improve everyone's health, and who knows? You may even find that you become less and less interested with what is on TV!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Eagan, Minn.