Greek Yogurt is More Than Just Parfaits
By Donna Stark
Don't you just love it when things in your kitchen have multiple uses? Or when one item can be used as a substitute for another? For example, applesauce can be used as a substitute for butter, oil, eggs, and even sugar. It's true! Those "swaps" have actually saved many a baker in the direst of situations. But that kind of versatility isn't only reserved for applesauce. In fact, the same kind of versatility can be found with that creamy yogurt sitting in your refrigerator right now. That's right. Your yogurt can actually be used for a lot more than just that afternoon treat you always help yourself to. From sweet to savory, yogurt may very well become your go-to ingredient.
Yogurt. That cool, velvety treat that is part of a healthy diet for kids and adults alike. Rich in protein and calcium, yogurt also contains active "good-bacteria" cultures that help to maintain healthy digestive systems. The choices of yogurt can often be overwhelming at the store with the huge array of flavors, styles, and brands, but if you want the one with the most versatility and health benefits, unflavored Greek Yogurt is the way to go.
The process that is used to make Greek yogurt causes it to be thicker, creamier, and smoother than traditional yogurt. It also has double the protein so it is the perfect choice to keep on hand, especially if you want to experiment with different ways on how to use it. Here are some suggestions.
- Dip it - Stir together one cup of plain Greek yogurt with some cinnamon and vanilla extract for a healthier fruit dip alternative, or make a dip for veggies by using ranch seasonings.
- Mix it - Start your mornings off right with a healthy breakfast by adding some fresh fruit, granola, or nuts to your Greek yogurt. You can also save time by making overnight oats with it as well!
- Blend it - A nutritious breakfast or snack is easy when you create a Greek yogurt smoothie. Just choose your favorite flavors and blend it all together.
- Drink it - Turn your yogurt into more of a drink than what a smoothie can offer. Whisk together some flavored Greek yogurt with milk until you have the right consistency and enjoy!
- Substitute it - Substitute your plain Greek yogurt in all of those recipes that call for sour cream. Use it for a topping on Taco Tuesday nights or load up your baked potato with this creamy stand-in. It's also perfect for dips, marinades, and salad dressings so start experimenting today!
What More Could You Ask For?
Whether you are looking for powerful nutrition or a substitute when cooking, Greek yogurt is the perfect choice to make. With its thick, creamy texture, and rich, tangy flavor, the versatility it offers is unending. So go ahead and give it a shot! You won't be disappointed.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Woodbury, Minn.