Best and Worst Foods for Your Skin
By Alexis Mills
The way that your skin looks has to do with more than your skincare routine. And just as certain foods ruin your figure, there are some foods that can ruin your skin. Remember that your whole body is connected and that adopting a healthy diet will help your skin and the rest of your health. Here is a simple guide of healthy and unhealthy foods for your skin.
Healthy Foods for the Skin
If you want to elevate your skin health, these are some of the best foods that you can eat to give you glowing skin.
- Salmon - Since salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids responsible for maintaining healthy cells to cause the skin to be more vibrant, youthful, and plump.
- Almonds -These nuts are packed with Vitamin E and rich in monounsaturated fats to keep the cells strong and the skin glowing.
- Spinach -This green-leafy vegetable is supercharged with something called beta-carotene that repairs the skin cells. This helps prevent aging and gives you a youthful look in the moment.
- Blueberries - They have the most antioxidants compared to other fruits and berries, which serves against premature aging.
- Yogurt - Eating yogurt gives you protein and vitamins to enhance your immune system to translate to clear skin.
Unhealthy Foods for the Skin
To make sure that you keep your skin as youthful as possible, avoid eating these foods in large quantities.
- Carb-heavy foods - Foods such as white bread, pasta and cake are all high glycemic foods that are linked to increasing acne. Try to use whole wheat or oats instead when you can to get more antioxidants.
- Salt - Salt is what causes the skin to swell when consumed in large quantities. Reduce the amount of salt you use in cooking and in the foods that you eat to decrease skin and health issues.
- Sweets - Eating too much sugar is another one of the worst things for your skin. It makes the skin appear dull because it damages collagen and elastin.
- Alcohol - Drinking too much alcohol dehydrates your skin and can cause rosacea symptoms to flare up.
Food gives us the energy to live and be healthy throughout life. The food that we eat has a direct effect on the way that we appear, feel and function. So next time you are trying to get clear skin, look into your diet along with your skincare routine.
To learn more about your health, wellness and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Pickerington, Ohio.