Family Fitness Day!
By Donna Stark
Well, we have another special event to celebrate in just over a week and I bet you didn't even know about it! This day could very well be one of the most important days to you and your family because it focuses on everyone's overall health and well-being. It might even be the one thing that catapults you and your loved ones to a lifetime of optimal wellness which is a pretty amazing feat in itself, but if any event can do it, it's this one! Want to know what it is? It's Family Fitness Day and it is celebrated on the second Saturday in June every year. So throw on some comfortable clothes, grab those sneakers, and let's go. It's time to get moving!
Family fitness is the perfect way to establish healthy behaviors and lifestyle habits at a young age ... behaviors and habits that will have significant and long-lasting effects on everyone you love. And that's a good thing, because you certainly don't want to deal with the effects of being unfit. Take a look at the benefits that come from staying physically active.
- Active children tend to grow into physically active adults
- Staying physically active reduces the risk of illness and disease
- Those who exercise regularly have fewer feelings of depression and anxiety
- A high level of fitness helps to maintain weight loss and healthy bones, muscles, and joints
You are probably wondering how you will be able to find another hour of the day to exercise with your family when you are already overcommitted with work, family, and other obligations, right? Well, don't worry. Achieving family fitness doesn't mean you need to set aside hours every night. It just means you need to learn how to incorporate more activity into your days. Here are some suggestions.
- Optimize your downtime - Instead of spending your evenings in front of a television, go outside and play catch, shoot some hoops, or consider taking a family walk.
- Add more steps - Find ways to incorporate more steps into your day and if you need help, wear a fitness tracker to keep track of your goal. Adding more steps to your day is easy, but it may take some time to get used to.
- Work it - See aside a time when every member of the family actively helps with the housecleaning, such as dusting, vacuuming, mopping, window washing, and laundry. It's a perfect opportunity for some serious exercise and you will end up with a clean house too!
- Gift it - Buy sports equipment and active games to give as gifts for your family, then put them to use!
You make it a priority to take your vitamins every day in order to keep yourself healthy, so why not prioritize your family's fitness as well? Sure, fitness takes a few more minutes of the day than swallowing those pills, but it is just as important.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Beaverton, Ore.