Ways to Brighten Your Bad Mood
By Donna Stark
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? Or walk into chaos at work that instantly put you in "one of those" moods? Whether you have been in a funk lately or are dealing with circumstances outside of your control, being in a bad mood stinks! Nobody likes to deal with those negative vibes, so you need to do something quick! But what?
It's More Than a Smile
Getting rid of a bad mood is more than just putting a smile on your face (although that may work just fine in certain situations). It's about doing something that your body will really respond to. Something that speaks to your core and will lift you up in a matter of minutes. Need a few suggestions? Take a look.
- Physical touch - Nothing releases the body's feel-good hormone as much as physical touch does, so turn to your friend, spouse, or children and give them a hug! Just be sure to not do this to strangers ... it might put them in a bad mood if you do.
- Talk it out - If you can reach out to a trusted friend or family member who you know will listen, do so. Talking through your feelings is such a good release, you will wish you made the call as soon as you started feeling those grumpies settle in. And if the person you talk to has a sense of humor, even better!
- Head outdoors - Sunshine, fresh air, a few minutes to yourself ... sounds like the perfect solution for your bad mood. Spending time outdoors has been shown to reduce stress and improve your mood, so what are you waiting for?
- Get moving - And while you are outdoors, you may as well get more bang for your buck by being physically active. Exercise, especially outdoor exercise, has been shown to increase the level of endorphins, which are your body's natural mood lifters.
- Spread kindness - Random acts of kindness have been linked with increased levels of mood-enhancing chemicals in the body. A smile (remember how it can help in certain situations?) and a compliment, holding the door for the person behind you, or even a small gift will release all the good stuff you need in order to brighten your mood.
Change Your Mood, Change Your Day
Try one of the suggestions above or try them all! By taking a few moments to focus on lifting your spirits, you may be able to change the course of your day. And that may be just enough to put you in a good mood!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Beaverton, Ore.