Don't Be Shy! Slather on That Sunscreen!
By Donna Stark
Whether you are at the beach, on the golf course, or in your backyard, it's a natural instinct to want to be outside when the sun is out and the temperature is ideal. In fact, there really isn't anything better than to have the sun's warm rays beating down on you, is there? Being outdoors and enjoying what Mother Nature has to offer can be a wonderful way to recharge, but you have to be smart about the way you do it. Because as good as those rays feel on your face, they are also equally as damaging.
National Sunscreen Day
National Sunscreen Day occurs at the end of May but don't wait until then before you begin the habit of wearing sunscreen every time you head outdoors. If you want to enjoy nature in as safe a way as possible, the use of sunscreen will help you achieve that. Here are some reasons why sunscreen is so important.
- It protects your skin from harmful ultraviolet rays
- It decreases your risk of developing skin cancer
- It slows the development of wrinkles
- It prevents skin discolorations
- It sets a great example for your children
What to Look For
There are plenty of options to choose from when you are shopping for sunscreen, which is great, but it can also be pretty confusing too. If you are unsure of what you need, take a look at the following suggestions.
- Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15 or higher for both UVA and UVB protection
- Make sure your selection is water and sweat resistant if you are going to be swimming or physically active
- Be picky with consistency and smell because if you don't like it, you probably won't use it
- Select kid-friendly sunscreens for your little ones
- Throw out and replace sunscreen if it has passed its expiration date
Once you have your sunscreen in hand, it's time to slather it on! Make sure you hit all of those easy-to-miss spots, such as your ears, the tops of your feet, the back of your neck, and if you have one, your bald spot. Also, don't forget about your lips! Make sure you get a UV-protective lip balm at the store as well and reapply it regularly. Last of all, be sure to wait at least 15 minutes after applying the sunscreen so that your skin has a chance to absorb it all.
Being outdoors is vital for your overall health and wellness, so go ahead and get your sun on. Just remember the most important thing to keep your skin safe and healthy while doing so!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Newtown Square, Pa.