Why is Posture So Important?
By Sara Butler
First, you were nagged by your grandmother and mother to sit up straight. Now, you have your chiropractor saying the same thing! Does it ever end? The answer is that no, proper posture will never be something you’re too old to reminded of. It’s important to your overall health and wellness. If you need more convincing, then you should listen to what the chiropractors at The Joint have to say about how posture impacts health.
Why Proper Posture is Necessary
Aside from making you look better, proper posture has several advantages. These include:
- Improved spinal health – Practicing proper posture helps to prevent the spine from getting stuck or fixed in abnormal positions throughout the day.
- Reduces stress on the body – Proper posture also reduces the stress on the ligaments that support the joints and hold them together.
- Helps maintain alignment – It’s important that the spine be in proper alignment, free from dysfunction and restriction. This also helps to improve communication between the central nervous system and the rest of the body.
- Reduces wear and tear – Abnormal wear and tear can really do a number on your joints, causing arthritis later in life in your back, your hips, your knees, and your ankles!
- Improves breathing – When you have good posture, your lungs are able to fill more efficiently, allowing more oxygen to be supplied to your body and helping you feel energized!
How Poor Posture Interferes with Health
There are many ways that poor posture can impact your health – and it’s not limited to the spine! Of course, poor posture over time alters the natural curves of the spine, leading to issues in the long term with pain, and discomfort in the short term!
It’s important to remember that your skeletal system supports the entire body and a slouched or slanted posture compress the ribs as well as the spine. This doesn’t allow the lungs to fully expand and leads to a lack of oxygen, impacting every single organ system in the body.
In the neck, tension from improper posture can radiate to the head, causing headaches. It also can radiate down the shoulders and arms, leading to discomfort or tingling in the arms and hands.
It’s never too late to learn to improve your posture. In fact, the chiropractors at The Joint are happy to show you the correct posture for sitting and standing, even sleeping! Just ask at your next visit about simple ways you can make a difference in your posture!
To learn more about your health and wellness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Austin, Tex.