Benefits of Exercising Besides Losing Weight
By Amy Silva
It's no secret that exercise can aid in weight loss. It's a popular New Year's resolution and one of the first things people do when they commit to losing weight is add an exercise regimen to their schedule. But there are far more benefits to working out than just weight loss. Exercising isn't just important for vanity or young people either. As we age, we lose muscle mass and may develop health problems that can be helped or even prevented if we add exercise to our lives.
Health Benefits of Exercise
Working out is good for the body in many ways including these benefits:
- For the brain - Two of the benefits exercise has on the brain is the ability to improve memory and lessen the risk for Alzheimer's disease. As far as mental health, exercise has been shown to lift mood and lessen symptoms of anxiety and depression. This happens because when we work out, endorphins are increased which can make us feel happy.
- For the body - Exercise may help heart health, lower blood pressure and improve insulin sensitivity. Building bone density and having strong muscles can help prevent some injuries and disabilities as we age. It may also help prevent osteoporosis and relieve certain health conditions that cause chronic pain, such as fibromyalgia and arthritis.
Types of Exercise
- Aerobic - Aerobic exercising, or cardio, is all about raising your heart rate and include walking at a quick pace, running and biking, among many others
- Weightlifting or bodyweight exercises - With strength training, there are many moves that don't require weights or machines that you can do at home such as sit-ups, push-ups, and squats, for example
- Balance - Balance exercises can be done anywhere and be as simple as lifting each leg and repeating on the other side to see how long you can hold them
- Stretching - Stretching feels good done at any time of the day and doesn't feel like exercise
No matter which type of exercise you choose to do, it will be beneficial to your health in numerous ways. If your goal is to lose weight, exercise with more frequency, longer duration or choose something that's more intense that will help you burn more calories. For those who don't need to watch their waistline and are wanting the health benefits of exercise, it needn't be strenuous to be effective. A walk in the park or yoga can have an impact on our brains and bodies, so pick something an exercise or two you love and do more of them. Your body will thank you.
To learn more about your health, wellness and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in League City, Tex.