Safeguard Your Spine So It Can Work for You
By Sandy Schroeder
A healthy spine is often taken for granted, until pain shows up. Back pain becomes a problem for almost 90 percent of the population at one time or another. But there are ways to avoid it.
Simply treat your spine the way you want it to treat you. Without much thought, we all depend on our spines to house the delicate nervous system that controls our body, and carry the messages that make all of our daily activities possible. If dysfunctions occur and those messages go awry, we may feel the pain and quickly learn how crucial our spines really are.
Stop by The Joint Chiropractic clinic in your community and find out more about the workings of your spine. Your chiropractor will explain how spinal health can be a key player in immediate and long term health efforts.
Using a spinal adjustment to correct any dysfunctions, pain relief may be achieved in the back, neck, and other joints of the body. More pervasive effects may also be felt as patients report feeling more energy, alertness and better sleep. As patients benefit from ongoing chiropractic treatment, there are many ways to keep the spine safe and healthy.
Safeguarding Your Spine
- Stand Correctly – Take the pressure off of your spine. Keep one foot ahead of the other, and slightly bend the knees.
- Lift Carefully– Use your legs for power and never twist the body. Get help if an object is too heavy.
- Sit Straight – Keep knees higher than hips, head up, and shoulders and back straight. Sit in a chair that has good back support, and keep feet flat on the floor.
- Carry Evenly – Divide weight into two bags, one in each hand. Never load all of the weight onto one shoulder.
- Sleep Well – Avoid pressuring your spine by sleeping on your back. Use a pillow between your knees to take pressure off of your spine. Make sure your mattress and pillows are comfortable.
- Quit Smoking and Check Weight – To protect your spine stay, within 10 pounds of your ideal weight. If you smoke, stop. Smoking impacts the flow of blood to spinal tissues along with raising cancer and heart attack risk.
Along with all of these spinal tips, keeping your chiropractor as a backup is an excellent way to safeguard your spine. Stop by The Joint Chiropractic clinic and get started now. The Joint provides an affordable care program to eliminate the need for insurance. Extended weekend and evening hours are available, and no appointments are needed.