Bicycling Isn't Just for Kids
By Donna Stark
"Be home before the street lights come on." That was my curfew when I was growing up. I lived in a small Northeastern town that had one red light, one little grocery store, two parks, an elementary school, and I believe 12 churches. When I wanted to hang out with my friends, I had to either walk or ride my bike to their houses, and of course, I always chose the bike. I would ride it everywhere. In fact, my love for riding a bike stayed with me all through adulthood, and even though I don't live in that beautiful little town I grew up in, my bike is still my best friend.
Get in Shape by Cycling
If you are looking for a new way to get in shape, you may want to consider bicycling. Hopping on your bike and hitting the road not only offers a great way to work out, but it also provides so many other benefits to your overall health and wellness. Take a look.
- Weight loss - Bicycling is an amazing aerobic workout that is easy on your joints, so if you are trying to lose weight and don't want to risk adding extra stress on your body as you would with jogging, this might be your best bet!
- Tighten and tone - Want to give your legs a great workout? Are you looking for ways to tone your thighs and calves? Grab your helmet and get on your bike because cycling can do just that for you!
- Improved health - In addition to weight loss and an improved fitness level, bicycling can also positively impact other aspects of your health. It can increase lung function, protect your joints, lower your stress levels, and reduce the risk of heart disease and certain cancers.
- Refined cognitive skills - Want to be smarter? Riding a bike has been shown to improve a person's focus and concentration because it requires a steady balance, quick reactions, and constant decision-making skills.
- Ultimate peace - There is nothing quite like the time you spend riding your bike. It's a natural stress-buster, it provides an opportunity to think through your problems, and it's a great way to get some fresh air while enjoying all that Mother Nature has to offer.
Bike to Your Heart's Content
We all know how hard it can be to reach those health and fitness goals, but riding your bike can make it a whole lot easier. So go ahead and hit the road as soon as you can. After all, you know those street lights will be coming on sooner than later.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Prosper, Tex.