Shake Your Mornings up With a Smoothie!
By Donna Stark
I bet you don't have any problem coming up with a delicious dinner for your family and I am sure you are a creative genius when it comes to packing leftovers for lunch, but what about breakfast? Is starting the morning off right with a nutritious meal your toughest challenge of the day? Leaving your house with the proper fuel to get you through the day definitely requires intention and commitment, but it doesn't have to be difficult or impossible! In fact, it can be quite easy with a nutrient-dense smoothie.
The Perfect Choice
If you can't imagine your day starting without a morning smoothie, you are not alone! But for those who are new to the "smoothie life," here are a few reasons why a morning shake is a great option.
- Smoothies can save time
- Smoothies are portable
- Smoothies are energizing
- Smoothies are an easy way to get your daily fruit and vegetable requirements
As you can see, smoothies are a great breakfast option for you and your entire family! Now, you just need to get things shaking!
Time to Create
Since you have decided to give smoothies a try, it's time to learn the process. But don't worry, this process of fueling your body with great nutrition is easier than you think! And the best part about it is that the options of flavors and textures are endless! Take a look.
- Add some fruit - You can't create a smoothie without some fruit! Fresh fruit provides the sweetness, nutrition, and texture that every smoothie requires, so fill up your grocery cart with your favorite flavor combinations.
- Add some vegetables - Sure, fruit is the main ingredient in many smoothies, but don't forget about those vegetables too! Spinach, kale, cucumbers, beets, sweet potatoes, carrots, and canned pumpkin are the top choices for supreme nutrition.
- Add some extras - Boost your smoothie's flavor and nutrition by adding a spoonful of chia or flaxseeds, matcha or cacao powder, turmeric, or cinnamon. You can even add in some fresh herbs such as mint and rosemary.
- Add some fat - In addition to increasing a smoothie's satiating power, adding heart-healthy fats to your smoothie can increase your protein intake as well! Some good options to choose are yogurt, avocados, and nut butters.
- Add some liquid - If you want your smoothie to be drinkable, you are going to need to add some liquid, but be sure to watch your sugar intake with this! Juices can be full of sugars, so instead of adding them to your smoothie, choose unsweetened almond milk, coconut water, or even just plain water!
Shake Your Mornings Up
One of the best things about starting your day with a smoothie is the variety of flavors, textures, and nutrient content you can have with a simple choice of ingredients. So pull out the blender, join the "smoothie club," and start your day off on the right foot!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Prosper, Tex.