Walking Into Wellness
By Donna Stark
You can walk your way into financial security and you can walk your way into love, but if you really want to land somewhere special, why don't you walk your way into optimal health and wellness? Walking is definitely an unsung hero in the fitness world and that needs to change because many people don't realize how beneficial it can actually be! In fact, most people won't even consider it as a serious form of exercise, and that's too bad because walking can transform your life in more ways than you may think!
Walking Into Wellness
You don't have to spend hours at the gym and you don't have to stress your joints by running for miles and miles. Just start walking and get ready for some serious changes to your overall well-being! Take a look at a few of the benefits walking can bring you.
- Increased life expectancy
- Reduced weight
- Reduced risk of cardiovascular disease
- Lowered blood pressure and cholesterol levels
- Increased strength and bone density
- Improved mobility
- Improved mental health
- Improved quality of sleep
Walking Is Easy
Walking is one of the easiest and most convenient forms of exercise you can add to your fitness routine. It's also one of the cheapest! The only thing you will need is a good pair of shoes and some time to set aside. So go ahead and get moving! But check out these safety tips first.
- Stretch - It is good to stretch your calves and hamstrings a bit before you head out for a walk
- Start slowly - Take your time to ease into your walk and increase your pace and distance gradually
- Pick a safe route - Make sure the route you choose is safe and well-lit
- Stay hydrated - Drink plenty of water throughout the day and bring some on the walk with you
- Get adjusted - Get your joints ready for your new walking program with a chiropractic adjustment
Remembering Your Options
Let's not forget, there are plenty of options to choose from when it comes to walking. You can head outdoors, hit the mall, or hop onto a treadmill to get all of your steps in. And if you sit behind a desk all day, don't worry! You can park further from the door than you do now, take the stairs in place of the elevator, and plan walking meetings instead of conference room meetings. The key idea here is to add as many steps to your day as you can, and if you are like most people, once you start, the easier it becomes!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Prosper, Tex.