How to Stay Safe and Have a Great Winter
By Sandy Schroeder
As soon as fall arrives, we all know winter will be next, often followed closely by strains, sprains and falls. Make sure you and your loved ones are ready. The American Chiropractic Association advises all of us to take precautions and be aware of the risks.
If you are considering winter sports, like sledding or skiing, make sure you are up to the challenge. Strains, tears or muscle spasms can happen all too quickly if you are not in shape. Heading out to clear the driveway of snow can be dangerous too.
Knowing when it is too cold to be out is also a serious consideration. Seniors with joint problems or heart issues can run into trouble if they are out too long in zero temperatures. Make sure everyone is dressed in warm clothing that is completely waterproof.
As always, before taking on any of winter’s challenges in snow shoveling or sports, get your physician’s approval first.
This might be a good time to check-in with The Joint Chiropractic clinic near you, to make sure everyone is in shape for the season. The Joint’s licensed chiropractors see everyone from growing children to busy seniors on a regular basis. If you bring the whole family in now to assess wellness, you will have health profiles on file to treat any winter injuries.
After making sure your physician agrees with your exercise plans, try a few warm-ups.
- Stand with your legs about a foot apart, and lower yourself into a squat position with your knees. Then stand back up.
- Start on your back. Grab your knees and pull them toward your chest and hold for 10 to 30 seconds.
If your doctor approves snow shoveling follow these tips:
- Wear warm, waterproof clothing.
- Never try to fling the snow off the shovel. Instead, just move it forward toward the edge of the drive or sidewalk. Avoid turning or twisting.
- Make sure you use your arm and leg power. Never use the back.
- Pace yourself and take frequent breaks.
- Consider a snowblower as an alternative.
Throughout the winter season, count on The Joint Chiropractic clinic near you for backup. The Joint makes everything easier. The Joint provides an affordable care program that eliminates the need for insurance. Extended weekend and evening hours are available and no appointments are needed.