Ways to Feel Happier in a Snap
By Genevieve Smith
Happiness is 10 minutes around the corner, teaches life coach Shirin Eskandani. There’s no reason to expect to be happy every second, it’s just not realistic. And your moods are a natural and beautiful part of you! But when you want to add a pep to your step in a fraction of the time it takes to head to meditation class, take a look at Shirin’s tips.
- Groove - Pump up the music and let loose. There’s nothing like a melody to get your endorphins flowing, especially when the tunes hold some cherished personal memory. Get your body loosened up in the flow and relieve any tension piled up from the day!
- Smile - Even if you’re alone, just do it. It really triggers something in your brain when those smiling muscles move, and sends out a message of happiness to your nervous system. This is basically the physiological birthplace of “fake it ‘til you make it.”
- Watch - Cute animal videos really do a number on your happiness levels -- when done in moderation. Allow yourself a little break to get lost in the gerbils and puppies of Internetland and enjoy the simplicity!
- Write - Expressing your gratitude in a way you can keep track of, this reminds you in times of need how many things you feel fortunate for. Make a short daily list to look back upon.
- Apply - Today is the day for a bold lipstick. Always wanted to try forest green? Go for it. Take risks and do you as only you can. I promise nothing bad will come of it!
- Communicate - In the blues? Friends and loved ones are the portal to happiness. Reach out with a text or call, and consider making plans while you’re at it. Time with those you cherish gets you out of your head and into the world.
- Escape - Specifically, go outside. Fresh air is a tonic for happiness, with its blend of stimulating sights, smells, sensations, and mood-boosting, soil-dwelling microorganisms.
- Meditate - You can do a simple, short-and-sweet meditation that's less than arm’s length away at all times. Close your eyes and focus on the sensation of air passing through the tip of your nose. You'll notice as it heats and cools with each inhale and exhale.
- Indulge - Dark chocolate has blessed the world (OK, maybe only a slight exaggeration) with mood-boosting properties. Have a square and thank the cocoa.
Simplify your daily happiness with these quick tricks to turn your nervous system into a playground of delight. Sorry, I tried a few of them and I guess it left me waxing poetic! From jamming out in the living room to logging a gratitude list, there’s something in here for everyone. Dig in and see what it can do for you!
To learn more about your health and wellness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic.