Snacking Your Way to a Peaceful Vacation
By Donna Stark
Got your family summer vacation planned yet? If you’re like millions of others, I’m sure you do. After all, school is almost out, everyone is nearing the mid-year slump, and vacation time is whispering your name. The temptation to just pick up and leave is strong, but you know that your family would probably be a little mad if you left them back at home, sitting in your dust. So you stay, you research things to do, and you plan for every little emergency that could potentially happen if by chance you actually turn your head away for a minute or two.
During all of this trip planning though, don’t forget about the biggest component of the trip, the only make-it-or-break-it factor that everyone is counting on you for.
Healthy Snacks for a Positive Journey
With a little planning, you can keep your family healthy and happy while on the road or in the air. Here are some examples of some excellent travel food that are healthier than most and totally satisfying.
- Jerky – The most satisfying nutrient for hunger is protein and jerky definitely fits the bill, but look for the kind that has lower sodium levels and preservatives
- Vegetables – These are always a mom-friendly snack because they are easy to eat, low in calories, and mess-free
- Fruit – This is simply the sweetest, easiest snack that you can offer your loved ones over and over again without feeling any amount of guilt
- Plain popcorn - Whether you buy a bag of plain popcorn or make it at home, this is a perfect snack that is easy to eat and has fewer calories than chips
- Filled pita sandwiches - Hummus is full of protein and by adding sliced vegetables these become the perfect little pick-me-up that your entire family will love
- Trail mix – Trail mix is a fun, easy snack to make that will help keep you full and energized between meals
- Pre-made salads – If you are traveling by car and have space, make some nutrition-packed salads ahead of time or buy the single-serving ones in the store
- Sandwiches – You can always stick with PB&J but if you want an extra boost of energy, substitute the sugary jam with a banana
- Healthy beverages – Skip the neon-colored drinks and sodas that are loaded with sugars and choose water, coconut water, or natural juices instead
In most cases eating unhealthy food is a choice, not a necessity, so keep everyone’s spirits up and their hunger pains at bay with healthy snack options. You’ve done all the hard work planning this trip, now it’s time to sit back and enjoy the ride.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Gilbert, Ariz.