Packing Your Healthy Habits
By Donna Stark
I hear about it more often than not. My friends or family go on vacation and end up leaving their healthy lifestyle at home. Whether they simply fall out of their normal routine a little bit while away, or totally leave behind all of their good intentions, for the most part, they typically end up at the same spot when they get back home … struggling to pick up where they left off. Those margaritas on the beach, the fabulous meals, and the concession stand snacks all sounded good at the time, but now when they are looking at themselves in the mirror at the gym? No bueno. Fortunately, that setback is an easy thing to avoid with just a little bit of pre-vacation planning.
Packing Your Healthy Lifestyle
A week of vacation always seems to fly by, but the effects on your health can linger for much longer than that once you come back home. Avoid the struggle and difficulty of getting back into your normal health routine by planning to pack your healthy lifestyle into your suitcase as well. Here’s what to think about when you pull your suitcase out of the closet.
- Plan your snacks - Before you leave for your trip, head to your local market to pick up some healthy snacks such as nuts, seeds, protein bars, peanut or almond butter packets, and dark chocolate. Get enough to cover your travels and the days you will be on vacation.
- Remember your workout gear - Pack everything that you typically use for your workouts at home. Sneakers, outfits, socks, headphones ... maybe even some small weights. But don’t go overboard! If you are flying, you have to keep the suitcase weight limit in mind.
- Do “normal” as much as you can - Sticking to your normal routine is obviously more difficult when on vacation, but try to keep those healthy habits going as long as you can. After all, most of the exercises you do could probably be done at the new location, you may just need to modify them a bit.
- Find healthy foods - Yes, it’s vacation and that means good food, but while enjoying the new flavors and food combinations that are local to the area you are visiting, try to splurge on only one meal each day, and keep the other two healthy.
- When in Rome - Wherever you are vacationing, all you have to do is take a look to see how the locals are exercising, and then follow suit! Are they hiking, paddle boarding, or jogging on the beach? Pick up on their fitness clues and head on out to join them!
Coming Home Healthy
Starting the vacation with your normal healthy habits will help set the tone for the rest of the time you are away. And because you have already taken care of your body’s needs, it will be an easy adjustment to pick up exactly where you left off once you come back home to reality.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Gilbert, Ariz.