Healthy Spine, Healthy Body
By Donna Kostiew
Keeping on top of our health is becoming more and more popular. But let's face it, most people make the mistake of not even considering the health of their spine when trying to maintain their overall wellness. The main function of the spine is to protect the central nervous system, so when the spine is healthy and in its proper alignment, the central nervous system is able to communicate between the body and the brain quite efficiently.
However, poor spinal health can wreak havoc on your body and do much more than simply create back pain. It can have a damaging effect on other aspects of your health as well and can make the body susceptible to injuries and future complications. So essentially, a healthy spine is critical to maintaining a healthy body.
How to Make Your Spine Stronger and Healthier
Don’t make the same mistake as others by ignoring the health of your spine. Keep your spine healthy and strong by doing the following.
- Strength training - Finding a fitness program that stretches and strengthens the back, the abdominal muscles, and the hamstrings can go a long way toward creating stability in the spine.
- Exercise - Those who walk at a quick pace or run on a regular basis often have healthier discs in their spines than people who do little to no exercise. The perfect speed for disc health seems to reside somewhere in the range of fast walks and gentle jogs.
- Rest – Let your spine rest while sleeping, so choose a supportive mattress and pillow and try to sleep on your back or on your side. Avoid sleeping on your stomach!
Don’t Forget Chiropractic Care
Chiropractic care is a great choice to make to help maintain the health of your spine and to undo any damage that has already taken place. Here are a few reasons why:
- Removes nerve interferences - The adjustments your chiropractor performs properly aligns the spine, which is crucial to having a healthy nervous system. The nervous system controls every other system in the body from muscle movement to breathing, so it is important to keep that functioning at an optimal level.
- Addresses the root of the problem – If you are experiencing pain or discomfort in your back, chiropractic care is the perfect treatment for you. It addresses the source of the problem and helps to correct any damaging behavior that may contribute to your pain so that you can have long-lasting relief.
- Reduces the need for medications and surgeries – Chiropractic care can correct some of the damage your body has sustained over the years, while also helping to prevent potential complications from prescription medications and invasive surgeries.
Although mistakes can be fixed, you don’t want to get to the point where you risk the health of your spine. Your chiropractor can help by offering a comprehensive approach to your overall wellness that will make a significant difference in the health of your spine and body simultaneously.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Phoenix, Ariz.