Get Off the Diet Rollercoaster with a Good Breakfast
By Donna Kostiew
Dieting can be one of the most difficult journeys you decide to embark on in your life. It takes patience, commitment, and effort to find some amount of success and then requires determination and motivation to maintain that success continuously. The ups-and-downs, the progress and then the setbacks are enough to wear you down emotionally. It can definitely be likened to the battle of your life. So don’t let silly mistakes cost you all of the hard work you have put into it so far and don’t let breakfast blunders knock you down.
The Dos and Don’ts of Breakfast
If you aren’t careful about how you start your day, it won’t matter what kind of low-calorie meals you prepare while on your diet. Breakfast blunders can easily set you up for failure, so be intentional about what you consume. Here are some tips for your morning routine.
- Eat breakfast – You will be less likely to indulge in a late-morning snack, which usually comes from a vending machine or a fast food restaurant.
- Include protein – Protein sources will help you to feel full and completely satisfied until it is time for your next meal.
- Choose whole grains – Foods rich in fiber provide plenty of health benefits and contribute to a healthy heart. They also help to curb hunger.
- Measure portion sizes – Breakfast is an easy meal to overindulge, especially if you go out to eat at a restaurant, so remember to keep your choices to single-serving amounts of food.
- Limit your carbs - A high-sugar, high-carb meal may leave you feeling hungry again sooner than you would like so eat those items in moderation.
- Enjoy a smoothie – If you need to eat breakfast on the go, a smoothie is the perfect option. It allows you to custom make and add whatever ingredients you would like. Just be sure to watch the amount of honey and fruit juice you add as they can easily turn your healthy drink into a high-calorie wreck.
- Be mindful at the local coffee house – You can drink coffee in moderation, but don't go overboard with the coffee “treats” that are offered; many are high-calorie and high-fat.
- Don’t overindulge on the organic – Just because it is organic, and perceived to be healthier, does not mean you can eat as much as you want. Don’t make the mistake of overeating these foods simply because you think they offer more health benefits.
Just Remember …
Eating breakfast is a crucial component to a successful diet and a successful day, but in order to get the most from your hard work, you need to be smart about your morning choices. Improving your eating habits is a great step in the right direction and will hopefully get you off of that diet rollercoaster that you may be on.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Chino Hills, Calif.