Baby Steps for Good Health
By Donna Stark
Improving your overall health and wellness can oftentimes feel very overwhelming, especially if you feel pressured to get it right on the first try. And I'm not talking about the pressure you feel from others ... I'm talking about the pressure you may place on yourself to be successful! It's for this reason that many experts suggest taking things slow. A slow start with positive results is generally better than a quick jump that ends in frustration and a desire to quit. So, if you don't know where to begin at the gym or how to incorporate that new diet into your lifestyle, don't worry! You can achieve the results you want by starting your journey with baby steps.
Baby Steps for Good Health
Sometimes, smaller lifestyle changes can help you reach your goals faster than those complicated, bigger changes that, for one reason or another, are doomed from the beginning. Take a look at the following health and nutrition tips that are sure to make a significant impact and improve your overall well-being.
- Reduce or eliminate soda - In addition to decreasing your sugar intake and the number of empty calories you consume, eliminating soda from your diet will also improve the health of your teeth and reduce your risk of serious health complications, such as diabetes and heart disease.
- Eat more fish - Fish is an excellent source of quality protein and healthy fat. By eating a couple of servings of fatty fish each week, you can boost your brain health and reduce your risk of health issues, such as heart disease and depression.
- Prioritize your sleep - The importance of getting adequate and quality sleep each night cannot be overstated. Sleep deprivation can lead to mood disorders, weight gain, high blood pressure, heart complications, and accidents. It is vital to your continued good health to make sure you are giving your body the rest it needs.
- Drink more water - If drinking the recommended amount of water throughout your day is tough for you, don't despair! Plenty of people are in the same boat as you. Try working your way up to that recommended amount slowly by drinking a glass first thing in the morning, before every meal, and at the end of the day. By doing so, you will see how easy it really is to stay hydrated!
- Get your Vitamin D - Head outdoors and bask in the sun! Vitamin D helps to improve bone health, fight disease, reduce depression, and boost weight loss. Use this time to get your 30 minutes of daily exercise in!
Reach Your Goals
Don't set yourself up for disappointment. Start your new, healthy lifestyle and reach those goals of yours by making smaller changes to your daily routine. They really can add up and make a difference!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in La Verne, Calif.