Good Health While Traveling
By Donna Stark
Are you required to travel for work? If so, it doesn't matter if your job takes you to the other side of the world or the other side of the state. You need to prioritize the main components of your overall well-being. Take a look at the following suggestions from your local chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic on how to eat, sleep, and exercise while on the road.
Eating out tops the list of challenges for those who are constantly on the go. Travel schedules may disrupt normal mealtimes, encourage convenience over substance, and offer few healthy choices. If you find yourself eating in your car or out of your lap at the airport more often than you'd like, the tips below may be able to help you stay on track.
- Pack your breakfast with plenty of protein. Eggs, Greek yogurt, and peanut butter toast are good options to start your day with.
- Pack healthy, filling snacks that aren't loaded with empty calories and fat. Nuts, granola bars (watch the sugar content here), and fruit are ideal.
- Be picky with the menu. Most restaurants offer healthier versions of their menu items, so take the time to find them. Choose grilled over fried, vegetables over chips or fries, and water over soda.
Getting Your Rest
No matter how prepared you are for the trip ahead of you, if you don't get the recommended amount of sleep, you could be setting yourself up for failure. Get your rest by doing the following.
- Plan to arrive a day earlier and depart a day later to avoid overnight flights
- Try to stick to your normal sleep routine and daily schedule as much as possible
- Pack earplugs and a sleep mask
- Use the "Do Not Disturb" sign the hotel provides to keep unwanted disturbances away
- Create some white noise in your room by running the fan
Finding Time to Exercise
The last challenge that many business travelers have to contend with is the disruption to their everyday fitness routine, but don't let that stop you from staying committed! Here are some ways you can continue to add movement to your days.
- Pack resistance bands for an in-room workout
- Take advantage of the hotel pool and gym
- Book your room on a higher floor and use the stairs instead of the elevator
- Scout out a local park or greenway to practice your yoga poses
- Explore the area while on your morning jog
Good Health While Traveling
Don't allow your on-the-road lifestyle to create new health issues or exacerbate the ones you already have. Take the time to plan ahead, make wise choices during your travels, and come back home feeling better than ever before!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in La Verne, Calif.