Is Toxic Mold Hiding in Your Home?
By Sara Butler
Your home should be a safe place for you and your family, but sometimes there may be health dangers lurking that you have no idea about. Toxic mold is a problem for some people inside their home and they may not even know it. Here are some of the signs you should look for to identify if you have a mold problem.
If you or anyone in your family is dealing with allergy issues, it may mean you have mold in your home. The most common allergic reactions to mold include:
- Sore, watery eyes
- Nasal congestion
- Runny nose
If you notice the reactions are worse in the home it’s a good indication there is mold growing there.
There’s a certain smell a home with mold has. If it’s present in one part of your home you might notice a nasty odor when you are near it. Any time you notice a persistent odor in your home that seems out of the norm, it could be mold and you should get your home tested.
Of course one of the biggest clues you have mold somewhere in your home is actually seeing it growing somewhere. You might be surprised how often people overlook mold growing in their home, mistaking it for dirt or soot.
Not all molds will actually look like what you imagine, either. Sometimes mold can be thread-like or white. It can be gray, brown, green or black too. If it’s hiding behind vinyl or wallpaper it can look pink, purple or even orange!
If you see mold growing, even if it looks minor, you should immediately take action to treat it. Mold can spread quickly and if not taken care of can become a much larger problem that can cost you a lot more money. Plus, for all the mold in your home you can actually see, you have to assume there’s mold you can’t see.
If you’ve had a leak or a moisture problem in your home then it will lead to mold growth. If you’re aware of leaks or moisture in your home then that’s probably the biggest sign you should be looking for mold in and around the impacted area.
Not sure you have a moisture problem? Look for:
- Water stains
- Peeling of walls
- Warped surfaces
If you suspect you have mold, you should call in a professional to have a look. Toxic mold growing in your home can cause significant health problems for you and your family, so it should be taken care of as soon as possible.