Great Substitutes for Butter
By Sara Butler
Butter is a food item that has its place. It's better for your heart than margarine but it's something best used in moderation since too much of it can definitely have an impact on your health. If you're searching for something to take the place of butter at times in your diet, then here are some great options for butter substitutes that also have the added benefit of being great for your health.
Reasons to Replace Butter
There are several reasons why people may need to seek alternatives to butter. These reasons include:
- Allergies - If you are allergic to milk proteins or you have a milk allergy, then butter is probably not the best choice.
- Lactose intolerance - Butter does contain lactose in small amounts so if you're sensitive to lactose, then it's a good idea to find an alternative.
- Health - Butter is high in saturated fat which can contribute to increased risk for heart disease and high cholesterol. Plus, it's high in fat and calories, so it should be used in moderation.
Butter is used often as a spread for bread and other foods, but cutting back on butter doesn't mean you can't enjoy a little spread on your bread -- you simply need to reach for something a little healthier. Some great alternatives include:
- Olive oil - You can mix olive oil with your favorite herbs or spices to create a tasty spread
- Avocado - Take a tablespoon or so of ripe avocado and spread it on your morning toast
- Hummus - Packed with protein, hummus is a great spread or dip
Substitutes for Baking
Butter often plays an essential role in baking, but there are some healthier choices out there that will result in a product just as tasty. If you're looking to take the butter out of your muffins, breads, cookies, and cakes, then you can try:
- Bananas - Mashed bananas helps to cut fat and calories, adding nutrients to boot
- Applesauce - Unsweetened applesauce helps cut calories and fat too, but it will add sweetness, so you might want to cut some sugar from the recipe
- Greek yogurt - If you don't struggle with dairy products, then Greek yogurt is a good alternative for a good consistency and a punch of protein
- Pumpkin - Pureed pumpkin is a great option to replace butter that adds in a lot of nutrients
Butter can be healthy in moderation, but you should endeavor to find replacements for it where you can.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Woodland Hills, Calif.