Easy Ways to Be Active
By Sara Butler
Are you getting your 30 minutes of physical activity each day? How about your kids? They're supposed to get 60. Many Americans simply aren't active enough. You can make all the excuses you want about not having enough time, but the truth is there are some easy ways to sneak physical activity into your day that can actually be fun, too. Here are some ideas to help you get started!
Why should you and your family be physically active? It helps you to reach and maintain a healthy weight as well as build muscles, burn fat, and keep your range of motion up to snuff. These are all really important ways you can increase your overall health and wellness.
Of course, before you start any new exercise routine, make sure to talk to a healthcare professional to make sure you're healthy enough to do so. But once you get the green light, there are all kinds of ways you can be active.
Different Types of Activity
There are several different ways you can be physically active. They include:
- Aerobic exercise - This type of workout makes your breathing faster and makes your heart beat faster too
- Strengthening exercises - These movements make your muscles stronger, which in turn helps you to burn more calories each day
- Balance and stretching exercises - These help to enhance flexibility and stability, helping to reduce your risk for injuries
- Bone-strengthening exercises - These helps to make your bones stronger and are important for people of all ages
A Few Good Exercises
Here are some easy ways to add more movement to you and your family's day:
- Walk the dog
- Park your car in a far corner of the lot to increase the distance you need to walk when going somewhere
- Take a walk with friends instead of calling
- Walk up and down the playing field when at your children's sporting events
- Get off the subway early and walk a little bit farther home
- Replace your coffee break at work with a walk outside
- Do squats during commercial breaks when watching television
- Wash your car
- Do yard work
- Plant a vegetable garden (and care for it!)
- Create a morning stretch routine
- Take a dance class
- Take a bike ride or a hike
- Join a community sports team
- Go swimming
No matter what you choose to do, the important thing is that you're doing it! Movement is good for your entire family, so get everyone involved.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Arvada, Colo.