Neck Pain: What You Should Know
By Sara Butler
The chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic see a lot of patients with complaints of neck pain. It's a fairly common condition that impacts the lives of people for a variety of reasons. The key is to figure out why you're having it and what you can do about it. Here's what you need to know.
The Pain You're In
Neck pain comes in a variety of forms. It can be caused by spending too much time looking at your phone, car accidents, or even the hours you spend at your desk each day when working. The American Chiropractic Association says that the most common instigators of neck pain include:
- Poor posture
- Whiplash or other injuries
- Degenerative disc disease
- Growing older
- Spinal stenosis
Your neck pain can range from an uncomfortable cramp to severe pain that runs down one or both arms. No matter what kind of pain you're experiencing, the chiropractors at The Joint can help you track down the root cause and treat it.
Is Your Pain Serious?
One question that many patients with neck pain have is if their pain is serious. Serious conditions that cause neck pain, such as cancer, are rare. Neck pain itself is quite common and not extraordinary to experience neck pain -- but don't mistake the fact that's it's common for being normal.
If you have neck pain, see the chiropractor and practice a few healthy habits at home to help reduce it.
How to Treat Neck Pain
If you want to address your neck pain, there are a few things you can do, such as:
- Chiropractic treatment - See the chiropractor so they can identify and address joint dysfunctions in your neck and upper back that may be leading to neck pain.
- Use ice - If muscle soreness and tension is the issue, then ice is a great option for pain relief! Ice helps to restrict blood flow and reduce swelling and inflammation. Just make sure to only use it for a maximum of 20 minutes at a time so you don't damage your skin.
- Proper neck support - When you're asleep, make sure you use a pillow that properly supports your neck. Also, don't look down at your phone or handheld electronics so that you're placing additional stress and strain on your neck.
If you're experiencing neck pain, don't wait. Discuss it with the chiropractors at The Joint today.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Aurora, Colo.