Showering Yourself With Love
By Donna Stark
The world can definitely be anxiety-inducing and sometimes even a little bit overwhelming, which is why it is important to stay ahead of the game and not become entangled in day-to-day stress. You know what I am talking about. Your job. Those bills. The kids. In fact, it's not too hard to see how the effects of stress can impact not only your days but your health as well. How many times have you massaged your neck today? How often have you reached for your headache medication? Stress can certainly wreak havoc on your health, but with a few simple self-care habits, you can actually give it a run for its money.
February is known as the "month of love," and while it's fun to shower others with gifts and tokens of appreciation, it's more important to shower yourself with some self-care. It's easy to get so involved with your busy life that you forget to care for yourself, isn't it? But for your physical, emotional, and mental well-being, you have to take some time out of your day to do so. Here are some simple ideas on how to add some self-love into your life.
- Consume a healthy diet and drink plenty of water
- Take a mental break from work, whether it's for 10 minutes or a couple of days
- Learn to say no to extra commitments
- Exercise, or at least head outdoors for an invigorating walk every day
- Practice meditation or join a yoga class
- Get quality sleep every night
- Detox from technology for 30 minutes a day
- Watch that television show you've been saving for weeks
- Dress up and have a night out
- Spend time with family or loved ones
- Change your mindset, practice gratitude
- Enjoy a new hobby, or get back into an old one
Self-Care is Not Selfish
Self-care should be a priority in your life, not only in the month of February but throughout the entire year as well. And as you can see, it doesn't require any major changes to your days. It can be as simple as spending a few minutes each afternoon to take some deep breaths or it can be as extravagant as a trip overseas every summer. It doesn't really matter, but what does matter is that you are putting yourself first for just a small moment in time. Caring for yourself will help alleviate that day-to-day stress that always seems to take its toll on your body and will open yourself up to better health and improved overall wellness. And that's a great way to show yourself some love!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Bloomington, Minn.