Exercise Your Way to Clear Skin
By Donna Stark
There are plenty of reasons to get your workout on. For some people, it's a critical necessity to improve the state of their health, for others, it's to improve their level of fitness, and for the rest of us? Well, we simply just want to look good when summertime comes around. No matter what your motivation is though, it's easy for all of us to agree that the benefits from daily exercise are obvious. Health is improved, athletic performance is strengthened, and appearance is enhanced, but did you also know that in regards to your appearance, your skin and complexion are positively impacted as well?
The Beauty Benefits of Exercise
In addition to keeping your primary care doctor happy, working out will also keep a smile on your dermatologist's face. Let's take a look at some of the beauty benefits that come from your daily sweat session.
- Glowing skin - Exercise helps support the production of collagen and supplies your skin with a healthy dose of oxygenated blood. This helps to keep your skin firm, smooth, and glowing.
- Fewer wrinkles - Cortisol is a hormone that is known to break down collagen and increase wrinkles, but physical activity can stop its damage by maintaining healthy levels.
- Cellulite eraser - The appearance of cellulite is minimized with exercise because the more muscle tone you have, the firmer your skin will be.
- Acne relief - It may not seem like it, but sweat is great if you are working toward a clear complexion! It purges your body of toxins, oil, and dirt that can clog pores and lead to acne.
- Skin repair - Studies suggest that a daily sweat session may help the skin repair itself more quickly. This is promising news because it may help to reduce the risk of skin cancer.
- Reduced stress - Exercise has been shown to reduce the stress levels that are linked to the development of acne. Just 30 minutes a day can help get you on your way to clear skin!
- Improved sleep - Poor or inadequate sleep leaves its mark on your skin but exercise can help combat that! Daily exercise improves your sleep, and when you sleep better, your body (skin) has the time that is needed to rest and recover.
Exercising for Overall Health
Your motivation for working out may change from time to time, but the one thing that always stays fairly constant is the fact that every part of your body benefits from doing it. So, no matter what your fitness level is, keep exercising! Your health, stress, moods, athletic abilities, and skin will be improved! And on top of that, all of your doctors will be happy!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Sunset Hills, Mo.