Unplug With a Digital Detox
By Donna Stark
Do you find yourself texting people instead of having actual conversations with them? Are your eyes always glued to what is happening on that phone in your hand? Is it hard for you to go through a day without posting to your social media accounts? If so, you are not alone. We are all missing out on the most precious moments in our lives because we pass our time being completely distracted by our electronic devices, but it doesn't have to be that way. It's time to detox and the timing couldn't be any better because the National Day of Unplugging is this month!
Unplug for Better Connections
If we want to connect our computer with its charger or a lamp with its source of power, we generally plug it in. But for the sake of this detox, and the connections we want to make with those around us, we need to do the opposite. We need to unplug! Using the National Day of Unplugging is a great start to improving the quality of your life. Here's what you can look forward to with a digital detox.
- Reduced depression and anxiety
- Improved communication skills
- Healthier relationships
- Increased energy and productivity at work and school
- Increased physical activity
- Improved sleep
- Healthier, more conscious eating habits
How to Make the Unplugging Easy for Everyone
As with any elimination diet, this digital detox may be quite the challenge, but that doesn't mean it's impossible. Here are some simple tips to get everyone in the family on board.
- Mean it when you say "lights out" at bedtime - Sure, you may get some pushback and you may hear the excuse of needing the phone for a morning alarm, but there is an easy solution to that. Do you remember those old-fashioned alarm clocks you grew up with? Get one for each room and keep the phones in the hall during bedtime.
- Become less social - Constantly looking at and posting to social media is draining in more ways than one. It drains your energy, creativity, time, and sometimes even your bank account. If you want to get back to your authentic self, slash your social media time or get off of it entirely.
- Establish boundaries - Mealtimes, homework hour, game night, family activities ... these are the moments when it should be easy to establish a phoneless boundary. Pick a location in the home where everyone can safely leave their phones and remind those who are upset, that it won't last forever.
Are You Ready?
Are you ready to take a bold step in the direction of a better life? Reducing the time spent on electronic devices will benefit everyone, so start today and establish those boundaries! You won't regret doing so.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Sunset Hills, Mo.