Too Hot to Exercise? No Way!
By Donna Stark
Generally, when summertime comes around, everyone heads outside and becomes more physically active than what they were in the winter. And that's great! But just like winter has its good days and not-so-good days, so does summer. We all know how it feels when those three H's ... hazy, hot, and humid ... hit the weather forecast, and we all know that on those days our dedication to working out drops and we typically stay inside where it is cool. So what can we do to combat that lack of motivation when the temperatures soar and the air conditioner beckons? How can we keep our fitness routine on track?
When the Days Are Too Hot
When the outside temperatures are too hot to handle, it can be difficult to stay active. So it is extremely beneficial if you make some Plan B's ahead of time! Here are some suggestions on how to continue getting the level of activity you need in order to reach your fitness goals. Take a look.
- Change the time - If, by checking the weather forecast, you see that the day is going to be on fire, plan to work out early in the morning or later in the evening when the temperatures are cooler. And who knows? You may even like the time change!
- Consider water - Nothing cools the body like some refreshing water running over the top of it, so consider adding some water exercises to your fitness routine. Check for classes at your community pool or keep it simple and swim those laps!
- Look for indoor activities - Head to the gym or your local community center for indoor fitness classes. These can include aerobics classes, badminton, basketball, or yoga. You can also head to your local indoor rock climbing facility or join a dance class.
- Climb stairs - If your place of employment has some stairs, use them! As little as 10 minutes of stair climbing can give your heart and your body the workout it needs. And if you aren't near any stairs, just add more steps during your day!
- Cleaning - If all else fails, you can clean your house. Sure, it's not as glamorous and really, who wants to add chores to their day? But you can definitely get a great workout in simply by adding exercise components from your normal fitness routine. Incorporate some lunges to your vacuuming or add some squats while you dust. Get creative!
Beat the Heat
There are always alternative options to exercise when the weather isn't working in your favor. You may need to think outside of the box and do something new, but you should definitely be able to find ways to reach your fitness goals for the day! Just stay motivated!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Raleigh, N.C.