Breaking Free From Your Phone
By Donna Stark
Having a phone in your back pocket certainly has its advantages and can make your life so much easier, but it may not always be as good as it seems. Whether you spend your time texting and tweeting or scrolling and playing, your tech time can easily turn into something extremely detrimental to both your health and your relationships. If you are experiencing serious withdrawal symptoms every time you put your phone away, it may be time for a digital detox.
Your phone should be an extension of your life, not your entire life, so it may be good to be more intentional with the amount of time you are spending on it. Here are some great suggestions from your local chiropractors at The Joint Chiropractic on how to spend less time with your phone in your hands. Take a look.
- Phone tasks - Place a limit on the amount of time you spend checking your messages, emails, and social media content. Or, check them less frequently throughout the day. You'd be amazed at how much time you save!
- Meals - Don't just put your phone down during meals, put it away! It's the only way to cultivate the relationships you have with those sitting right next to you.
- Vacations - Sure, it may be awfully tempting to fight the crowds for the best spot to take pictures, but think about all that you are missing by doing so. Resist the urge for the perfect Instagram picture and allow yourself the opportunity to truly experience the moment.
- Play time - It is always surprising how much time I waste once I start playing a game on my phone. To save yourself from doing the same thing, set a timer before you start and be sure to end your game as soon as it goes off.
- Phone-free activities - Keep yourself busy with activities that don't require the use of your phone. Join a recreational sports league, pull out your paints and canvas, or head outdoors with your family. The options are endless and you may even find that you are enjoying your life more!
- Bedtime - Turn your phone off at least one hour before you typically go to bed. It's a healthier way to unwind from the day and it may even improve the quality of sleep you get each night!
Making a Difference
Even though you may not think that these suggestions will make much of a difference, I would encourage you to at least give them a try. You may be surprised by how much extra time you have during the day and how much stronger your relationships become after your digital detox.
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Parma, Ohio.