Celebrate International Hummus Day
By Donna Stark
Say hello to my little friend. No, it's not a new pet or even a new toy. It's a chickpea and boy, does it deserve a celebration like none other! In fact, I can't think of a better time to clap for this humble little thing than during the month of May when the entire world comes together to celebrate International Hummus Day on the 13th! Hummus is a creamy and delicious dip that has been placed on tables for centuries and the star of the show is ... yes, you guessed it ... the chickpea!
From Chickpea to Hummus
Hummus is typically made by pureeing a bunch of superfoods together so you can't go wrong by adding it to your diet. Traditional versions call for chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, garlic, and olive oil, but if you make it on your own, the options of ingredients are endless! Let's take a look at some amazing ways you can enjoy a fresh batch of this delicious dip.
- Spread a spoonful on your favorite bread
- Use it in place of mayonnaise or mustard on your sandwiches
- Add a layer to your avocado toast
- Enjoy dipping pita chips into it
- Replace your sour cream with it when you make mashed potatoes
- Add some to your deviled egg filling
- Pair it with your favorite raw vegetables
- Blend it with olive oil, lemon juice, and spices for your very own healthy salad dressing
- Use as a topping for chicken or eggplant dishes
- Add cocoa for a delicious dessert-style hummus
Why You Should Eat Hummus
If you want to feel good about what you eat, you don't have to worry about hummus as it contains a wide variety of vitamins and minerals. Check out some of the reasons why hummus is so darn good for you.
- Helps reduce inflammation
- Promotes good digestive health
- Contains heart-healthy ingredients
- Promotes weight loss
- Helps to balance cholesterol levels
- Supports bone health
- Boosts energy
Enjoy Some Hummus Today!
With such a versatile flavor, it would really be a shame not to use this dip more often. So get out there and try some today! Ask your friends which restaurants serve the best hummus, head to the store and buy a couple of different brands to test at home, or try your hand at making your own! You know that generations of people from all around the world certainly can't be wrong about this healthy spread, so what's stopping you from becoming friends with the little chickpea? Give it a try, and then join in on the celebrations for International Hummus Day!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Parma, Ohio.