Take a Walk for Improved Health
By Donna Stark
It's official. Walking is good for you and is a great way to improve and maintain your overall health. It aids in weight loss, it strengthens bones, and it reduces the risk of serious medical conditions, such as diabetes, heart disease, and osteoporosis. Walking is also proof that physical activity does not have to be vigorous to have a positive impact. Just 30 minutes a day can change your life dramatically. Think about that. Thirty minutes a day ... about the time it takes to watch one sitcom on TV. That puts things into perspective, doesn't it? Because when you are old and gray, what would you prefer to have? Years of silly TV programs stored in your brain or optimal health, mobility, and independence? I know which one I would prefer.
Turn the TV Off
Walking is low impact, doesn't require any special equipment, and is totally free, but one of the best things about incorporating it into your fitness routine is that its benefits can bleed into nearly every area of your life. Take a look.
- Boosts your mood - Whether you are having a yucky day or a yucky week, talking a walk can lift your mood, especially if you head outdoors to do it.
- Reduces stress - Many of us feel like we are drowning in our stress every single day which can take a serious toll on both our mental and physical health. The best, and most natural way to decrease the production of the body's stress hormone, is to move, and walking is a great option!
- Increases bone density - One of the most important benefits that come from walking is a reduced risk of osteoporosis and bone fractures. Studies show that by incorporating walking into your long-term fitness program, you can actually increase the density of your bones.
- Alleviates back pain - Suffering from chronic low-back pain? You are not alone! In fact, you may even have a friend who is hurting too! So ask around and start planning some daily walks with each other. It's a great way to diminish your pain and stay connected with friends at the same time.
- Improves overall health - Just like that apple a day, walking can help keep the doctor away too! Adding those extra steps into your days can reduce the risk of illness and serious medical conditions, improve your quality of sleep, increase energy, and aid in weight loss.
Living a Healthy Life
Sure, watching TV can be fun, but aging before your time isn't, so take a walk instead. It can seriously change the course of your life and will put you on the path to optimal health and wellness!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Hillsboro, Ore.