Kicking the Soda Habit
By Donna Stark
If you want to see how popular soda is, all you need to do is head to your local grocery store. There, you will find shelf after shelf dedicated to this oh-so-sugary sweet drink. On top of that, there are even more bottles of soda waiting to be purchased right beside the cashier too! Now, don't get me wrong. Many people enjoy a refreshing can here and there, and that's OK, but if you are reaching for soda more often than not, you definitely could benefit by cutting back as much as you can.
Kicking the Habit
It can be difficult to change a habit, especially one like daily soda consumption, but it can be easier if you have tasty, healthy alternatives to replace it with. Take a look at a few options below that can easily satisfy those unrelenting soda cravings of yours.
- Fruit-infused water - Water is always one of the best options to choose from, but what if you don't like to drink it on its own? Well, you can infuse it with fruit! Try it today and see how good it tastes.
- Vegetable juice - Do you like vegetables? If you have a juicer, there is no easier way to get the recommended amount of vitamins and minerals into your diet than to squeeze your vegetables clean!
- Homemade smoothie - If you like to be creative in the kitchen, making smoothies is a great way to experiment with flavors, but just be sure your smoothies are homemade. Many of the store-bought ones are loaded with just as much sugar as some sodas are.
- Coconut water - Coconut water is a great alternative to consider, especially if you are an active person. It has natural electrolytes and is also high in magnesium.
- Iced coffee - Looking for a caffeine boost? As long as you are not adding crazy amounts of sugar or flavorings, iced coffee can be the perfect solution that will perk you up and help you focus.
- Iced tea - Whether you prefer green, black, or herbal, homemade iced tea is a great alternative to soda. Enjoy drinking it unsweetened or add a bit of honey in place of sugar. The best thing about iced tea is the control over how sweet you want it to be.
It can be hard to stop your daily soda habit but with the options listed above, you may find it easier than you think. So go ahead and skip those shelves of soda at the grocery store and start your healthy beverage journey today!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Hillsboro, Ore.