Health Tips for Busy Lives
By Donna Stark
How many days of the week do you wake up, go to work, grab a quick lunch, work some more, go home, grab an even quicker dinner, run your kids to their practice, come home, and help with homework before you even get a chance to give your body some rest? Most of them? Well, let me welcome you to the "those who burn both ends of the candle without stopping for a break" club. Or as you may already know it, the "maintaining a healthy lifestyle can be challenging" club. No matter what you call it, being a member in these clubs isn't really that great for your overall health and wellness, is it? But that doesn't mean you can't make some changes. Reaching your optimal health goals with your busy schedule is actually a lot easier than you think. Take a look.
If you are the type of person that can find the time to fit in exercise every day, go ahead and give yourself a high-five! But if you are someone who struggles to fit it into your daily routine, keep reading! Here are some suggestions on how to do so.
- Keep some light weights, a yoga mat, or resistance bands in your office
- Take plenty of walks during the day
- Climb flights of stairs during your breaks
- Jog around the field while your children are at practice
Prioritize Doctor Visits
The formula to living a healthy life involves many factors but one of the most important is seeing your doctors regularly, so stick to your healthcare schedule, no matter how busy you are. Regular visits are important for these two main reasons.
- They can help you stay up to date on vaccinations, tests, and yearly physicals
- They can help your doctors identify and treat illness and disease sooner
The types of food you consume are vital to how well you feel and how well your body performs so make sure you are making wise choices. Reduce or eliminate as much processed food as you can, watch your intake of sugar and salt, and try to cook more meals at home. Incorporating a variety of nutrient-dense foods into your diet doesn't have to be difficult. Take a look at the following tips.
- Enjoy a healthy breakfast every day (even if it is just a smoothie)
- Pack your own lunches and snacks
- Meal prep for the week on Sundays
- Utilize your slow-cooker more often
Getting Out of the Club
It's time to either leave that "too busy" club or rename it with something more suitable because living a healthier life isn't impossible. With some simple changes, you can improve your overall health and wellness in no time!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Hiillsboro, Ore.