Sleep More, Eat Less, Get Healthy
By Donna Stark
One of the most daunting and challenging lifestyle changes a person may struggle with is when they are faced with the need to lose weight. Weight loss is oftentimes an uphill battle. It is filled with challenges and difficulties from the onset and can be peppered with multiple setbacks, one right after the other. It’s important to stay on top of what works and what doesn’t during this process so that you can have a positive experience with successful results.
The Secret Component to Weight Loss
If you are heading into battle, you need a good night’s sleep, and this weight loss battle is no exception. Without adequate rest every night, the challenge of losing weight is that much greater. Here are some reasons why:
- Less energy to exercise
- Less energy to shop for and prepare healthy food
- Increase in cravings for junk food
- Increase in poor decision-making skills
Recharging Our Body
Eating and sleeping are the two main ways that we refuel our bodies. If we don’t get enough sleep, we are more likely to recharge our bodies by eating too much. So if you struggle with willpower and are too exhausted to exercise, your next best option is to learn how to sleep well. So how do you get the rest that you need? Here are some tips:
- Make sleep a priority and establish a consistent schedule
- Design a bedroom that encourages sleep by keeping it cool, quiet, and dark
- Follow the same routine each night so that the body learns the signals that it is time for bed
- Remove televisions and electronics from the bedroom
- Avoid caffeinated drinks in the evenings and late night snacks
- Invest in a great mattress and pillow set to achieve the best sleeping posture
- Try to maintain sleep habits over the weekend
- Visit a chiropractor for adjustments that help improve sleep
Better Sleep with Chiropractic Care
Your chiropractor can suggest ways to improve your sleep routine and will provide treatments that will help you achieve complete rest and deep sleep. Chiropractic adjustments can help improve your sleep by reducing any nerve interference that may be causing you disruptions during the night. Your body will begin to function better, which will give you more energy and help with your weight loss.
By learning how to get proper sleep, you may start to make gains in your weight loss battle while also improving other aspects of your health as well. So fight the good fight, and say hello to smaller-sized clothes and improved health!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Portland, Ore.