Adding Color to Your Plate for Improved Health
By Donna Stark
Do you think black is slimming? Is your closet organized not by color, but by shades of black instead? Dark black, pitch black, faded black, light black, pastel black … sound like you? If so, then it’s time to bring some color into your life, but not in your closet! It’s time to bring more color into your kitchen, because you’re not going to get slim just by wearing dark clothes, and dark clothes do nothing to improve your overall health. No, it’s going to take some serious color in your diet to achieve all of that, so get ready to head to the store and bring that rainbow back into your home!
Eat the Rainbow
We’ve all been told to eat the rainbow, and we all know that it does not mean to eat a handful of colorful candies, but what exactly does it mean? How much of a good thing are we supposed to eat? Well, the recommended amount is to eat a cup of each color every day. And although that sounds like a lot, it actually isn’t too hard to do. Take a look at the following examples.
Greens - Here’s how you can easily add some greens to your diet:
- Drink green tea
- Throw some spinach or kale in your smoothies
- Add a salad with your meals
- Add cabbage, green beans, or peas into your stir-fry
Reds - It’s so easy to add some reds to your diet. Here’s how:
- Add raspberries or strawberries to your salads and smoothies
- Add tomatoes to your sandwiches
- Make cranberry or raspberry muffins
- Use tomato sauce in chili and pasta dishes
Oranges/yellows - Bring some sunshine to your plate by adding more of these two colors into your diet:
- Make homemade sweet potato soup and add some carrots in as well
- Add turmeric to soups, dressings, and sauces
- Add peaches to your smoothies or make a healthy cobbler
- Pack some clementines to snack on throughout your day
Whites - Often forgotten, but just as important. Here’s how you can add healthy whites to your diet:
- Add coconut to smoothies or trail mix
- Make a cauliflower crust pizza
- Eat mashed potatoes or mashed cauliflower
- Add parsnips to your soup
Purples - Purple foods can make any dish prettier! Here’s how to add them into your diet:
- Snack on frozen grapes
- Add blueberries or blackberries to your oatmeal, muffins, salads, and smoothies
- Skip the white potatoes and try some purple ones
- Make a dish with eggplant or beets
Live a Colorful Life
Vibrant colors of fruits and vegetables are what you want to look for when shopping because the more colorful they are, the more benefits your body and waistline receive. So stop living in the dark and start imagining your new, colorful life!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Spartanburg, S.C.