Sunshine Is the Best Medicine!
By Donna Stark
There are a lot of good and bad things when it comes to prescriptions. The good is that if you are sick, injured, or depleted of something your body needs, the prescription will have you feeling better in no time. The bad is that if you need a prescription, it's because you are sick, injured, or depleted of something your body needs. But on top of that, you now have to deal with the potential side effects that come with the medicine as well! But what if I told you about a prescription that only has positive side effects and can actually be a lot of fun? Want to start improving your overall health and wellness? Well, all you have to do is head outside!
Sunshine for Better Health
Wouldn't it be nice if every time you required medicine, your doctor simply told you to go outside and play under the sun's rays? Unfortunately, that's not how it works, but heading outdoors does have plenty of benefits that can significantly affect your health. Take a look at how fresh air and lots of sunshine can become your favorite prescription of all time!
- Boosts immunity
- Decreases blood pressure
- Improves mood
- Reduces the risk of depression
- Improves memory and focus
- Lessens mental fatigue
- Speeds the healing process
- Curbs stress
- Eases temper, irritability, and nervousness
- Encourages better sleep
- Increases energy
Getting Outside More Often
The more time we spend in nature, the more it will become a part of our lives and the better our health will be from it. So find the time and head outdoors! If you don't know where to start, here are some easy ways to incorporate more sunshine into your life.
- Find your favorite spot - Make it a goal to visit your favorite spot outdoors every day, even if you can only spare a few minutes
- Take advantage of what's around - Visit parks, nature preserves, botanical gardens, rivers, lakes, and beaches in place of the mall or movie theater
- Schedule it - Just like doctor appointments or exercise, mark the times you want to be outdoors on your calendar
- Get sweaty - Take your fitness routine outdoors for new and different types of challenges
- Take the long way - Leave for work a little earlier than normal and take a more scenic route
- Change the way you commute - Consider walking or cycling to work if you are close enough or get off the bus a stop earlier and walk the rest of the way
- Grow your own - Fill your home with flowers and your table with fresh produce by starting your very own garden
The Best Prescription
Sure, you may still need to take an antibiotic or a prescribed supplement every now and then, but the best prescription around will always be what Mother Nature provides herself! So improve your overall wellness and head outdoors today! Next to laughter, it's the best type of medicine!
To learn more about your health, wellness, and fitness, see your local chiropractor at The Joint Chiropractic in Spartanburg, S.C.